Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Planning skills

19 replies [Last post]
Bob Benham
User offline. Last seen 14 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Don’t go with my first post.. please read carefully and absorb...

Are you P6 Planner????

Having thoroughly reviewed number of P6 planners work around the world, sorry to say that only a few of them (3out of 100) know that how to do proper planning and production of reports in P6 whereas all others are just limited to put activities in Primavera and so called P6 Planners.

Only a few planners from UAE,USA and Europe are good in P6 as they involve in more projects whereas I am sorry to say that UK P6 Planners are not good in P6 for the following reasons. may be they are using Asta and others software… not involved in more projects like others…. More recession in UK…… Not much work …….etccc …...

Why UK P6 Planners do not have same level as UAE , USA etc P6 planners have ?

Do you know?

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi All

I return once more to my main theme:

If you can’t build it you can’t plan it.

You can schedule a persons plan but you are not a planner.

I am not a planner - Iam a builder who can work the software.

Best regards

Mike Testro
D Artagnan
User offline. Last seen 2 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
i agree with you guys. i have been in the construction industry for 5 years+, some years in the consulting, some in precast, some in water business. I have been wanting to be involved with hardcore project planning and management but it was just recently that i was given the opportunity be in and use primavera. I took a humble route to be a junior planning engineer although i had 5 years of experience already because i feel the need to know the core of construction and not just the software. Learning software is easy for me. I can say that i am very good when it comes to software and computer studies however the application of this tools in the construction and it’s implementation is another skill to be hone. Good in primavera doesn’t equate with good in planning.

I have been a member of this forum for quite awhile but just never been so active and just want to share my thought.

I believe in "trash in trash out" in computer concept. My point is, i am good in computer softwares and confident at it but with my limited knowledge of construction stuff i don’t think i could be called a good planner now.

Saying about races, that’s really uncalled for. just my 2 cents
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
haaa haaaaaa.......

A FOOL with a TOOL will always remain a FOOL

:-)
Pratap Dinahar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Seriously speaking, I’d agree with Arnold.

Learning to use a software is like, child’s play.
The proper way to learn something is to get at the concepts, and then apply logic.
To procede from the abstract, to the concrete, so to say.
Well, enough with my rambling for now; Lunch break’s over.
Pratap Dinahar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Hahaha..

I guess threads like this one would fill the lack of comedy in our grim profession.

Just kidding. Lol!
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Bob,

Sorry to say, but I do agree with what they said. Primavera is just a tool, experience is much more important.

Everybody knows about Primavera, it is very useful and excellent software. We knew the functionality of P6 almost 95%. But it doesn’t mean that we are a good Planner. That’s why there is a lot of youngster Structural Designer and Planners because of the software.

I interviewed one of the applicants and asked him a question. Being a planner, what can you tell about yourself? He answered, because I know how to use the software (Primavera) but in fact, he is an Autocad Operator.

Being a Planner is not easy as what other people’s perception that if we know the software and we have the P6 manual then we consider ourselves as a Planner.

Regards,

Arnold
James Shimmon
User offline. Last seen 13 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Have we encountered the return of Charleston? The language and style of writing is very similar, any thoughts anyone?
Izam Zakaria
User offline. Last seen 7 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Yes I do agree with Dieter. Everyone should forgive him.Sometimes people need to understand each other.We lose nothing right? I guess this is not a big deal.
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 days ago. Offline
Mike

we just tried some basic education for a youngster. Maybe one day he’ll learn.

Bob

Which target for your career: non skilled worker or planner/professional? The language is an important part of the switch.

Regards

Dieter
Michael Ridino
User offline. Last seen 14 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Guys,

I apologize for being any part of a negative thread on PP. I did not mean for any negativity to arise. This is a great site for our profession and I will use and support it for the rest of my career.

All I do is work on construction sites and while the language can be rough there is still respect for people and the jobs they do. Especially when you get above the laborer level and work with professionals.

I am not sure why you would make the statement "Never say Sorry to Mike". Mindsets like that are what cause a lot of problems in the world. Working with others as a team to get a job done is one of the most rewarding parts of any job.

Mike
Bob Benham
Dieter,

As regards language the same was used which we usually use on our Construction Sites or Office, not abusive in any case... if you have spent some time on Construction Sites or Construction Offices, you know such language very well. Planners are not Angels.

Never say Sorry to Mike.

Totally Baseless to say any more so humble request to Moderator to please close this chapter either by deteling the whole post or lock this post.

Regards,
Dieter Wambach
Hi Bob

Forum rules is one side. But there is another one: Being planner is a highly qualified profession. The language should relate to this level.
As I didn’t understand some of the words of that post later deleted by Gary, I assume you didn’t well meet planner’s level.
One more item: Project work means team work, co-operation.
Mistakes happen; for a planner it might be helpful to include "sorry" into her/his vocabulary. My humble opinion.

Regards
Dieter
Bob Benham
Thanks Gary for your explaination in terms of Forum rules.

I assure you that in future I’ll never post any such things which breaches the forum rules.

As regards apologizing to Mike, sorry to say that I can’t do that.

Regards,
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Bob,

Mike asked you a question and suggested your writing style was familiar.
You responded with very rude and abusive language.
There is no comparison whatsoever.

The rules I have are the rules everyone on this forum agreed to when they signed up, including you. There is a link to them at the bottom of the page. Since you clearly haven’t read them as I requested, I draw your attention to rule 2:

"Keep conversations civil. This is a professional forum. Flaming, taunting, name calling, abusive language and derisive / condescending posts will not be tolerated."

Your post was the clearest breach of this rule I have seen yet. You would earn more respect on this forum by apologising to Mike rather than trying to defend the indefensible.
Bob Benham
Gary,

If mike written something against my personals then its Ok , if I wrote in defence of it, become abusive?

What type of rules you have?

Try to listen and absorb the things...
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Bob,

I deleted your last post because it was insulting and abusive. If you can’t be civil, this is not the forum for you.

Please read the forum rules before making any further posts. Abusive language is explicitly banned.
Michael Ridino
Well put Dieter.
Michael Ridino
Why no love for the schedulers and planners?

Scheduling/planning is more than just creating reports in P6.

Also, why hide behind a fake alias? Your grammar and punctuation skills give you away.

Mike
Dieter Wambach
Hi Bob

Which was your target when you wrote this post?

If your 0.1 years of planning experience are correct then you just graduated from school or university and learnt e.g. PM and Planning. Now in real world you are shocked that real life is different to school. From now on you’ll have to learn real life.

Do you feel experienced enough to judge on nations or nationals? Nations may have different styles of work but expert is a personal item. With some experience you’ll find them in America, Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa in any country.
To be an expert in planning does not depend on your expertise in P6 but on your expertise in PM, business, technical issues, communicating, organizing yourself and project’s information - it’s personal.

To relate expertise and nationality, this disturbed me, because it’s simply not true.

Regards
Dieter