Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Question about Critical Path

17 replies [Last post]
Brian Yung
User offline. Last seen 9 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Good day Gentlemen,

I have a little problem with my schedule.

I currently have 4 sub projects (close to independent: as in there are no interelated activities) in a single project.

For each of them, I have a "mandatory Finish" Milestone which represents my contractual finish date for each sub project.

I also have a finish mileston which represents the actual finsh date of each sub project; which is also tied to the contractual finish milestone with a FF relationship.

I am now trying to show the Critical path of each sub project.

Issue encountered:

Since each sub project will finish earlier than the contractual date, they the sub projects’ activities will never show a o total float (unless if I constraints inside the project)

If I choose to show the Critial Path via the longest path, it will take the sub project that finishes the lastes and athe critical path run through that particula sub project only.

Would nayone here have a way of showing each sub project’s critical path?

Thank you

Brian

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 3 days ago. Offline
Maybe this was not related to the item which was discussed.
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 35 min ago. Offline

Old discussion - Deleted.

Dieter Wambach
Hi Brian

To open a group of projects is independent from the data date. As far as I know the only impact would be for scheduling, float, longest path.

What you did was exactly what I suggested.

Regards
Dieter
Brian Yung
Hi Dieter,

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that what I have done is the same as what you are suggesting me. Correct me if I am wrong
:)

I did indeed create a new EPS node (COMPLETE PROJECT.)
And under that node, I’ve created 5 projects

Also, I would like to know if my sub-projects do not have the same data date, would I be able to open the EPS node? if yes, what would be my data date?

Regards,

Regards,

Brian
Dieter Wambach
Hi Brian

This would lead to five projects. I would create an EPS-node and put them underneath.

Then you’ll have common access rights and the overall budget assigned on EPS-level. The common project would contain e.g. the contractual milestones, overhead activities, and e.g. a required shut-down. If you’ll open the EPS-node and all five have (exctly!, incl minutes) the same data date, P6 would regard and calculate them as one network/graph. Individual access rights and budget would be assigned to each project. Remark: Access rights are inherited from EPS to all projects and other nodes underneath.

Regards

Dieter
Brian Yung
Hi Dieter,

My main reason for splitting into 4 projects is because they are practically independent and I want each of them to show their own critical path.

wouldn’t having them separated in WBS be the same as having them in different projects but under the same parent project? and opening the parent project?

-> COMPLETE PROJECT
----> GENERAL (anything that relates to all 4 sub projects)
----> SUB PROJECT 1
----> SUB PROJECT 2
----> SUB PROJECT 3
----> SUB PROJECT 4

by doing this, wouldn’t it also allow different data dates for each sub project? because they are all in the same project, I have to update all four of them at the same time.

Am I correct?

Regards,

Brian
Dieter Wambach
Hi Brian

It depends on circumstances. Different projects if one of the following:
- Data exchange, e.g. with a sub for construction
- Subs have access to "your" P6 database to maintain their activities
- Need for independent scheduling

Easy way is within the view "WBS".

Good luck!

Dieter
Brian Yung
To clarify my previous post. What I meant was:

I currently have 4 project in a P6 project separated by WBS and not EPS. I think that the latter method is a cleaner way of doing it.

I’ll try to switch that (cutting and pasting)

Regards,

Brian

Dieter Wambach
Hi Brian
If the software is under maintenance, you’ll get it free of charge from your dealer or from Primavera POINT (http://customerportal.primavera.com/customer). You can receive user id and password from Primavera. They’ll need your serial-no.

Regards
Dieter
Rafael Davila
May I suggest

Project Planning and Control Using Primavera P6 for All Industries Including Versions 4 to 6
By Eastwood Harris Pty Limited, Paul E Harris

Chapter 24 on Multiple Project Scheduling

http://books.google.com/books?id=jvul-jTSAAIC&pg=PT289&lpg=PT289&dq=HAND...

Brian Yung
Hi Dieter,

if I use your definitions to describe my project, I would say that it is a program (big project consisting of 4 smaller projects) in one P6 project.

Where would I be able to find the update/patch?

Regards,

Brian
Dieter Wambach
Brian

To avoid misunderstandings. A programme or big project can consist out of more single P6 projects - due to access rights, data exchange ... You can open them altogether or separately (=load into the memory"). Then P6 will regard it as one network (=graph) if the data date is the same.

P6 to P61 to P62 were just bugfixes and some improvements of small details. When you start the setup.exe, it will realize the old version and upgrade the database as well. Do not forget a backup.

P6.2 was the first release issued by Oracle and they announced to discontinue any bugfix for P6. Current version is P6.2.1.

Regards
Dieter

Brian Yung
Hi Dieter,

How can I load each project seperately? I basically have 4 projects in one project.

when you suggest me to upgrade to 6.2, is it just a patch?

Regards,
Brian
Dieter Wambach
Brian

I can’t test it, but it sould work: Schedule the whole program, then unmark "ignore..." in the scheduling options, then load each project separately and schedule.
Another idea: make the data date different for each project - e.g. one hour difference. But I’m not sure if it works.
Best solution: Upgrade to P6.2; it’s a bugfix as well.

Regards

Dieter
Brian Yung
Hi Dieter,

Thanks in advance for your help.

But unfortunately, I’m working with version 6.0

Regards,

Brian
Dieter Wambach
Brian

If you have the actual version: P6.2, just try the following:

"F9" --> Options --> For: Calculate float based on finifh date of: mark "each project".

Hope this helps

Dieter
Rafael Davila

Old discussion - Deleted.