Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Critical Paths / Longest Path(s) With Mixed Calendars To Multiple Contract Dates

No replies
Chris Lothian
User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 6 hours ago. Offline

I have a Project which has multiple Contract Dates (Contract Duration, 7 Contract Sections and 2 Key Dates).

As part of the Works I also have mixed working calendars (some activities run on 7-day per week calendar, but the majority are 5-day per week).

To generate a Critical Path for meeting each Contract Date I’ve used “Finish On or Before” Constraint on the Planned Completion of meeting each Contract Date (rightly or wrongly).

However, where a 7-day working activity finishes on the last day of the normal working week (or on the Saturday or within a longer non-working period) this introduces Float and by rules of P6, ends the critical path.

I'm aware that I could set the criticality rule to be less than 2-days Float (rather than the current 0), this would bring most activities back into P6’s Critical Path, however there are some activities where the 7-day working activity finishes through a 2-week non-working period. To stop this from ending the P6 Critical Path I’d have to set the criticality rule to be less than 2-weeks Float – however this would bring a hole list of other activities, that normally would not be on the Critical Path as they have up to 2-weeks Float. I've tried a few of the other options for "Compute Total Float as" and "Calendar for scheduling Relationship Lag", but couldn't get it to work (but may not have tried all possible combinations with some other settings!).

It seems that what I need to do is to filter longest Path to a specific activity (the specific activting being the selected Planned Completion activity)?

Is there a workaround / built in P6 function?

Thanks in advance.

Below are the current Schedule settngs:

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

here is what I do in a situation like that 

create a new activity code call it My Path and give it a value code of CP Critical path

next add that column to the data area on the left

next filter for the last activity in the Project ONLY

in the predcessor tab at the bottom right click and select Customize Predcessor Columns

Expand the General category on the left

bring the Critical and Driving selection to the right to be displayed

Next look of the predcessor that has BOTH driving and critical boxes checked

select that activity that has both boxes checked and at the bottom select GoTo

(if there are 2 or more activities that have both boxes checked select the one with the least amount of total float)

this will add that activity into the current view

keep doing this until you gate back to the data date

now select edit and then Select All (or do a fill down for the Activity code that you just added)

right click and select Assign 

Then select activity codes and assign all of these activities to the new codes call My Path and give them the code value of CP

Now filter where for activity code

Where My Path equals CP

this is your most critical path through the project

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 10 hours ago. Offline

Hi Chris,

The solution to your problem is to break it with the milestone activity so the float will be calculated correctly as long as the multiple calendar had the same start hours and same finish hours.
Example: Act 1 = 7d x 8h workweek = 5 days duration (start on Monday finish Friday)  link FS (successor) to Act 2 = 5d x 8h workweek, the float will be calculated resulting 2 days float because act 2 will start on Monday. To resolve this issue, you have to link FF to  a Finish Milestone with 5d x8h day workweek calendar then link FS to Act 2 with 5d x 8h workweek and it will be calculated as 0 float.

Chris Lothian
User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 6 hours ago. Offline

p6_schedule_options.jpg