Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource and global change - P6

7 replies [Last post]
glen staunton
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Anybody got a clever global change to delete resources that have been assigned to activities. I’ve inherited a programme and want to delete all the existing resource assignments and then add my own. 3000+ activities so i really dont fancy doing this one manually, and i’m not yet that up to speed on exporting and importing in excel.

Thanks in advance for any help

Replies

Sudheerkumar Gurram
User offline. Last seen 6 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hey I am sudheerkumar membership (10090) from Abu Dhabi, I want to know the advancement in P6.0 from p5.0.

And also, could please mail me P6.0 USER MANUL in PDF please.

skgurram59@yahoo.com
sudheerk@trsa.es

Thanks
Karim Mahgob
User offline. Last seen 10 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Go to Resouce Assigment window---->mark all ---> then delete.

it’s easier to delete all resource in one shot
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 7 hours ago. Offline
You’re welcome
glen staunton
Hey i’ve already had a go highlighting activities i’ve filtered and it seems to work... So thanks a million
glen staunton
Dieter thanks for replying. That approach would be perfect, except there are other users within my project who use some of these resources. I’m pretty sure if I delete them I’ll be undoing some one elses hard work. Is it possible to do as you suggest but limit it to a specific filter within my project?

Thanks

glen
David Podmore
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Nice one.

If your replacement resources are a one for one replacement for the existing ones (or in some cases at least) you can use Global Update. Just configure the tool to:- where resource = resource"x" make resource = resource "newx"
That way you get the new resources in where you want them. Even if it’s only half of the 3000+ tasks it could save you a load of time.

Only a thought... :o)

David
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 7 hours ago. Offline
Glen

Global Change doesn’t work in this case I’m afraid.

To do it manually isn’t that effort as it sounds.

Open your programme --> view "Activities" --> cursor into table area --> push right button --> select "Group & Sort" --> by resource id --> on the right border of your P6-Window you see an icon "assign resources (no 7 from bottom) push --> push "Display: All Resources" --> filter by --> current project’s resources --> then for each group in main window select all activities --> select that particular resource in the assign window --> push icon delete.

It took me more time for writing than you’ll need to delete all assignments.

Hope that helps

Dieter