Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Levelling Problem

3 replies [Last post]
Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Using resource levelling I created my first draft. I decided an activity could start earlier. So I removed its link and created a new link to an activity that finished earlier. Scheduling has this activity starting earlier. A Resource levelling has this activity now starting later than the first draft and the end date is now longer. If I return the constraints to the first draft then the project finishes earlier.

Surely resource leveling should workout the earliest finish of the project without breaking any of the constraints. Any suggestions?

I am resourcing levelling in days with an order of TF and using P5.

Replies

Oliver,
it is very hard to do in large schedules with many dozens resource types and many thousands activities. Manual prioritization my lead to poor schedules. MS Project does not suggest different prioritization options and there is no other choice. But in Primavera it is reasonable to try several automated options. The results may still be unatisfactory but it is very hard to discover this just looking at the large schedule.
There is another option - export the schedule into Spider Project, level there, and then import the results. But in this case you shall have both tools.
Regards,
Vladimir
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Mark,

With the amount of prioritisation, constraints, logic rework and doublechecks that need to be done using an autmated levelling tool, i find it better to jst do it by eyd using the resource usage profile.

This is just my opinion but i believe the same goes for MSP and Primavera.
Mark,
Primavera does not optimize resource constrained schedules and your case is typical. I recommend to try different levelling priorities (for an example choose Remaining Duration instead of Total Float) and select the best schedule that is closer to your needs.
But remember that the order of activity execution depends on the priorities used and selecting other priorities in future you may get totally different schedule.