Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing MS Proj Files Into P5 Read Only Error

3 replies [Last post]
Douglas Byles
User offline. Last seen 7 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has run across this issue before. When I try to import a Microsoft Project File into P5, the process runs correctly, but when it opens the MSP file it says it is read only and a copy needs to be made.

Irrespective of whether I allow a copy of cancel the dialog box, the process completes running, but fails to create the new Project in P5.

I get the "Process completed with errors. See log file for details." message and my log contains this.

INFORMATION: Creating temporary working file...
*** ERROR ***: Unable to open file T:\DougB\V634-307 MMPM.mpp. - An unexpected error occurred with the method
INFORMATION: Importing Global Data...

But it gave me the option to save it as something else, then proceeded with the rest of the import as normal.

Regards,
Doug

(Software Jockey striving to be a better Planner)

Replies

Douglas Byles
User offline. Last seen 7 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,
The answer turned out to be something completely unexpected.
(For us at least).
By nature of the way, the other dept creates their Microsoft Projects, the Project Summary Task is hidden. This Summary task contains a very long detailed set of notes, which causes a Microsoft Project Warning to occur.
This warning caused the import to fail. By removing the long notes, the warning no longer occurred and the imports were successful.

thank you for your feedback, we have also fed that into our "Things to remember".

Regards
Doug
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Douglas
I assume that you don’t have write access to drive T:. Especially to arrange (code-)tables, temporary files have to be built. As far as I remember, the location is indicated during the installation process.
In former times lack of space would be another reason.
Regards
Dieter

David Podmore
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Doug,

What versionof MSP are you using? It is an imperfect import even when it works; I suspect the version is key.

D