Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Percent complete issue

4 replies [Last post]
Yusuke Kamui
User offline. Last seen 14 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,
I’m using P5.
I have a schedule (baseline, let’s call it Schedule A) wherein it was the orignal schedule submitted to the client. In this schedule resources are not loaded and it is simply showing the Start / Finish date of every tasks and the work/units (budgetted units) per task.

Now, I have an actual schedule (let’s call it Schedule B) which we are now using to enter the actuals.

Question is if I want to know our progress in comparison to Schedle A, how to do it? Say today is June 6 and each tasks on Schedule B has some percent % complete how to compare it to Schedule A?

Just like this....
Schedule A:
Task 1: Build wall, Start (May 30), Finish (June 7) = meaning by June 7 should be 100% complete

Schedule B:
Task 1: Build wall, Actual Start (May 30), percent complete only 10% (today is already June 6)

So, how to know the percent complete of Task 1 in Schedule A as of June 6? Like asking a question, if our actual percent complete is 10% as of June 6 (as per Scheudle B), how many % complete we should have been as per the target on Schedule A?

Thanks.

Replies

Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
This is simple. Been there, done that.

Turn Schedule A into a baseline.
Display Schedule % Complete in your column.

Done. Good huh?
This was not possible in P3!

Cheers

Jorge Taguinod

David Podmore
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Yep, I concur with Mr K. Load Schedule A as the baseline to B. Or, even simpler if understand the situation; Take A, make a baseline (save a copy of current programme) and thus mark progress against the client programme. No need for a B really.
If you load costs onto A and then baseline you can derive earned value...
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
I have not quite followed what you are trying to do... BUT what is wrong with converting the original project into a baseline?

The "Maintain Baselines" option lets you do this

??
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
depending on the percent complete type you had chosen, update both schedules (A & B) consistently using the same data date