Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Using P5 to obtain % cpl on project

2 replies [Last post]
Joel Gilbert
User offline. Last seen 4 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Using P5 manhours to obtain % completion of a project

I would like to get some opinion on this subject .

A schedule is created, reviewed and accepted. Baselined and tracking process starts.
The activities get updated using % completed of remaining duration, either or.
The schedule gets reschedule to the data date and the P5 produces a percentage complete based on manhours earned VS baseline (Budget) manhours. However if you divide earned versus budget it never gives you the correct %. Why is this??? Does the remaining duration exceeding the original duration have something to do with this? Because my management is using P5 for tracking time period only and Excel to track the accurate capturing of Manhours. I have never done it this way and always relied on P5 for the percentage after all that is way it was designed. Who is correct and what are your thoughts on this ??

Any professional advice welcomed.

Regards,

Joel Gilbert

Replies

Colin Adam
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Duration % Complete = (Original Duration – Remaining Duration)/Original Duration.
When you look at the summaries you may find they’re miles out and the overall project duration% complete is wrong as well. This is because the activity value is calculated from the project activity calendar and the summaries are calcuated from your global default calendar. Pain in the backside. You even get the scenario of having activities with say 20% against them and the summary of the project displays 0% complete. Primavera says this is on their to do list i.e. to make the duration % complete summary calculate itself from the project calendar.

Apologies if this isn’t what you’re asking.
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
this is not a professional advice, just consider this as an unsolicited one:

i guess the matter can become complicated if the settings are not consistent, i.e. Duration Type and % Complete Type, this also includes the use of multiple calendars and working hours, not to mention constraints!

i believe you are using Units and Duration for % complete type, and I guess you cannot use it at the same time for the same project and expect an accurate output.