Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Roll-up or formula in grouping items

6 replies [Last post]
Nader K. Rad
User offline. Last seen 3 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I’ve designed a custom field, with calculated values. My problem is that I need grouping items to use that formula, in order to summarize data. I’m not able to do that, can anyone tell me how?
It would also be nice to have a kind of roll-up for those grouping items, is that possible?

(By the way, I’m using Primavera 5.0)

Thanks
www.khorramirad.com
info@khorramirad.com

Replies

Nader K. Rad
Sorry Amit, I didn’t understand!
Would you explain me what to do?

thanks
amit parmar
User offline. Last seen 16 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
To roll-up the numbers,assign a user defined field with ’data type’ = ’Number’ and just enter the numbers activity wise and they would roll-up to wbs level.

i hope i got your problem right???
Nader K. Rad
Well, It’s truly tricky, but it’s not my decision. One of the most strait solutions I have, is to use formula or rollup in grouping items.

Thanks Shahab.
Sean Moghimi
User offline. Last seen 2 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Nader,

I may do not have any comments on the genral case.

That project actually sounds tricky to me! The whole idea is to chase phisical progress (actuals) against the planned progress and run the EV financial calculation. EV is not for calculating physical progress, as it does not need calculation! If you ment chasing the progress and cost diagrammes based on physical progress I am sure you can use actual progress column to enter physical progress percentages as well ;)

Hope it add sometime up!
Cheers
Nader K. Rad
Dear Shahab;

I’m not an everyday Primavera user. My question is not case-oriented… I prefer to know if it has the ability or not.

By the way… the case is that we have a project, which is dictated to have separated financial and physical progress report, so I’m not able to use EV tools to calculate the physical progress.
Sean Moghimi
User offline. Last seen 2 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Nader Hi there,

Will you tell us more detail about the data you want to summerise or run some calculations upon? Primavera 5 and 6 should give you the majority of fields and data you will need to do EVA or track cost and time. What other things you want?

P6 gives you up to 8 columns for integer, text etc.

Cheers,
Shahab.