Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

BL Cost % Complete - Summary Roll-up

6 replies [Last post]
Amir Dadbakhsh
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Planner
I’ve faced a problem, I would be really glad if you help me to solve it.
I should compare actual time schedule with baseline time schedule, my problem is:
in "BL Cost % Complete", cost % complete is not roll up for summary activity (in WBS level, it doesn’t show total) even I restored the baseline it worked well and all cost % complete was rollup but when I mark it as baseline again it is not roll up in summary level (total was not shown!)
I’ve tried many ways such as changing data date,… but they couldn’t help me!
How can I make primavera sums and shows total cost % complete in "BL cost % complete" for summary task?
Thanks in advance
Amir

Replies

Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Amir;

I understand what u said. I also had same problem.

In Assignments, i use Budgeted Units column as BL Units.

In my opinion, Primavera has a lot to increment in P5, mainly in this cases where we need to do comparisons.

For example:

We could choose a calender for WBS to assume (and not WBS assume Admin Preferences to calculate Original Duration)
We could choose which % Complete Type we whant WBS to assume (and not WBS assume nothing)
And many other things.

When i sewer my possibilities in P5 ... i use Excel.

Regards.

Marcio Eduardo
Amir Dadbakhsh
Dear Mario
Thanks for your response
I’ve checked what you said
But it might be my fault that didn’t explain my problem clearly!
I want to compare actual cost percent complete with baseline percent complete in Gant chart layout.
It is really easy, it just needs that both column ( actual & baseline) be added to the layout.
Problem is: in baseline column , summary (WBS) does not calculate % complete based on baseline sub-activity’s percent complete and it follows actual (achieved) % complete. For example

Actual baseline
summary 0% 0%
Act.1 0% 15%
Act.2 0% 20%
Act.3 0% 50%

Or
Actual baseline
summary 10% 10%
Act.1 40% 0%
Act.2 0% 0%
Act.3 0% 0%

As you know, in assignment layout it is not impossible to add baseline colimn.
It is really strange for me because in p3.1 I did not have problem to compare mentioned column together but in p3e … it might be my lack on knowledge or even primavera bug. But I would be really glad if you or any other fellow give their opinion here to clear this subject.

Kind Regards
Amir Dadbakhsh
Marcio Sampaio
Hello Amir,

I’d never laught at anybody. I’m allways glad to help (or try to help)

U have a request ... and i’ll try to find an answer.

Send me a pvt msg with your e-mail and i will send a file with my lay-out (by "import lay-out")

Hope it hellps ... but be sure u are in "Assignments".

Regards.

Marcio Eduardo
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Amir Dadbakhsh
you might laught at me, but it does not work again!
Amir Dadbakhsh
dear mario
my friend
both of them are the same prgram ( every thing is the same)
but you give me best idea, just changing layout helped me!
thanks
Marcio Sampaio
Hi;

Think u can not see %Complete summary by WBS on Activity Table. That is because u may use diferent %Complete Types(duration, physical or units) on activities.

I know how to see it on "Assignments" - BUT ONLY FOR UNITS - NOT COST. Create a Layout whith a filter (resource u whant, time period, etc), choose columns Budgeted Units, Actual Units and Remaining Units (on Units) and Units%Complete (on Percent Completes). It will allow u to see %Complete summary by WBS.

Hope it helps.

Regards.
Marcio Eduardo
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil.