Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Negative Float & Constraints - Primavera P5

6 replies [Last post]
France Tintinger
User offline. Last seen 10 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi there everybody
would anyone be able to explain to me how I can remove a constraint on a Finish Date when a project has been copied with constraint dates attached.
The star appears next to the date indicating a constraint but there is no constraint shown under the status tab. I have tried various things to remove these constraints but to no avail. These constraints are giving me huge negative floats on certain activities.

thanx

France

Replies

France Tintinger
Hi Mike
Spot On!!
You are a genius. I found the culprits in the "External Late Finish" column. I deleted these and ran the schedule. All the negative floats are gone.
Thanks a lot for your help.

regards

France
VENKAT RAMANA
User offline. Last seen 13 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
In a possible way for your solution..try the following which can help you to an extent..

Choose Project, Activities, then select the activity whose constraint you want to define.Display Activity Details, then click the Status tab.In the Primary field, select a constraint type.Click in the Date field, then select the date to which the constraint applies.In the Secondary field, select a constraint type (if necessary).Click in the Date field, then select the date to which the constraint applies.

The Secondary constraint list is filtered based on the value you select in the Primary constraint field.You cannot apply constraints to Level of Effort or WBS Summary activity types.

Regards,

VENKAT

Michael Hunter
User offline. Last seen 15 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Donovan / France

Another possibility:
If you had relationships to activities in another schedule then the constraints may arise from dates held in the "External Dates" field which are not necessarily displaid in the Activities Details Tab.

Mike
France Tintinger
Thanks for your suggestions Donovan.
I have checked all the things you have mentioned except for the baseline suggestion. I will try it and let you know.
Donovan Govender
User offline. Last seen 9 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
also check wether predeccessors or succesors are linked to fixed dates
Donovan Govender
User offline. Last seen 9 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
did remove your actuals in labour units,and durations, and maybe its in your baseline

regards