Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3e/c integration with P3e possible?

8 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 13 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
In a situation where client PMO is in P3e v4.1, should it be reasonably possible to have project construction contractors working independently in P3e/c and periodically integrating their say Level 3 schedule data into the overall P3e client schedule? Current procedure of working directly in client P3e project schedule has some serious drawbacks. If so, what would be best integration processes and protocols? Do you know anyone who is working this way?

Replies

Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
You are most likely correct , bow to you, but do think you will toss p3e in the end if you are using it for construciton.

only my own thoughts. assure you others have own thoughts on it. But thread addressed this issue about 3 weeks ago.
cheers bill
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Bill

Sorry, I have to disagree with you on this topic. Hope you did not misread the topic "P3e/c integration with P3e possible?" not P3 to P3e/c.

I been involved in lots of this type of discussion in the forum I cannot see why information is loss when importing schedule from the exact database platform. IMHO people is the factor, rather then system. You can also see more and more supporter to go "Enterprise".

Why?? I guess this is the usually acceptance cycle to change. When Senior Management experience the benefits it will change from opposition to acceptance and endorsment. Time is the factor here.

If we stick to the integration between P3e to P3e/c, there is no concern if you know how.

Cheers

Alex
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Alex,
If you look back on this subject you will find lots of discussions on the topic, yes you can intergrate but will loose lots of data and will basically have to remake the schedule.
And fyi, many firms are going to p3E only to go back to P3 after a short time, finding p3Win better for construction.
regards bill
Alex Wong
Forum Guest

I believe that in Hong Kong, KCRC (Rail Government organisation) is already using P3e as the project planning tools and all the contractors need to submit their program. In addition, we here in Australia - Energy Australia is mergeing information together with our service providers + integration with SAP for financial information integration.

Cheers

Alex
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have no experience of P3e.
but we do this kind of intergration (only update progress) with P3 3.1
We use contractor’s level 3 schedule to update our level 2 master schedule. we did not deal with resource or cost,so it’s easy, just export/import .dbf files.
But we have a special act code in level 3 schedule to identify it’s "parent task" in level 2 schedule.
Forum Guest
Alex,

Would you happen to know anyone who is presently doing this? I think we might need to understand how best to address other issues such as the mechanics, level of schedules maintained by both parties, etc.

Thanks
Forum Guest
Alex,

Yes, just knowing that it is possible is very encouraging.

Thank you for the quick response.
Alex Wong
P3e/c integration with P3e possible?

Forum Guest,

The answer is yes! The true is P3e and P3e/c is exactly the same except the screen color and report template.

However, there are 3 database platform in both system, SQL, Oracle, interbase. To the user it is the same doesn’t matter what DB is installed. If you importing and exporting projects using .xer it will convert to the right format.

Therefore there is not real issue in terms of intergration. One thing that you have to aware that is code structure when your client importing .xer form you the global project code need to match, just like P3 when you importing project to the master plan.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Alex