Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Stand Alone Projects

15 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Please provide suggestions on how to handle Stand Alone Projects - that is projects or Project Groups that do not share resources with other Projects or other Project Groups. That is separate Construction Contracts, different owners, different locations, by contract not allowed to be dependant on other contracts/jobs.
-How to avoid confusion with multiple resource pools.
-How to do simple things as to automatically delete project resources when deleting Stand Alone Projects as not to have hundreds of project pools not being assigned.
-What is the most elegant way to create a single database per project - a solution I heard of before?
PLEASE HELP MOST PROBABLY THE SOLUTION IS SIMPLE AND ELEGANT
ALTHOUGH I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE IT OUT
Cordially,
RD

Replies

Alan Chadwick
User offline. Last seen 10 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Going back to the original questions......

-How to do simple things as to automatically delete project resources when deleting Stand Alone Projects as not to have hundreds of project pools not being assigned.
-What is the most elegant way to create a single database per project - a solution I heard of before?
-----------------------------------------------------------

P3e is an enterprise tool, the successful set and and configuration takes time and thought...i.e. clearly defined standard WBS elements, standard resources with attributable costs(engineer grade 1 etc) that will allow you to plan and report on an enterprise scale.

However we have created a "sandpit" that is a development rather than a production area in which standalone projects would not impact on enterprise planning of resources etc.

I don’t think that you will be happy with MS Project.
If you will decide to take a look at Spider Project inform me and I will send you an additional module that is not included in Demo version, This module permits to save projects in P3e SQL Server and MS Project mdb formats, and open P3e and MS Project files saved in these formats. Using this module you can also export and import projects to and from MS SQL Server and Oracle databases.
Exporting projects to P3e and MS Project you will loose some data (activity volumes and resource productivities, cost components, variable resource workloads, assignment costs, risk analysis data, multiple WBS, multiple links between activities, and some others) but the projects will be read correctly (WBS, dates, costs, resources will be true).
Your opinion is very interesting to me though I am sure that you will not be disappointed.
Forum Guest
Vladimir:

Yes I tried before other management software:
I have used Microsoft Project.
I have used Micro Planner for the Mackintosh (~ 12 years ago).
I am considering taking a look at “Spider”; I believe it to be your favorite.
Those options are ok when you are not required to submit your schedules in a specified electronic format.

We are watching Microsoft Project, as soon as they comply with our basic requirement regarding activity ID most probably it will be our choice, until then we must look elsewhere. Although MS Project provides for Enterprise Resource Pooling it is friendly to stand alone jobs, under their platform this is not an issue. Also compatibility with Operating System will never be an issue within MS Project.

Cordially,
RD
Not for manufacturing projects where you shall assign resources (people, equipment) basing on project goals and restrictions.
Forum Guest
Although I am not in the manufacturing business I believe a simulation tool like GPSS - "General Purpose Simulation System" or its equivalent would be the most appropriate to simulate production and queuing, not a CPM tool.
Cordially,
RD
To Forum Guest:
I don’t think that MS Project is appropriate for manufacturing. Manufacturing involves production and the software to be used shall simulate production along with consuming and shall calculate project schedules taking into consideration material limitations. MS Project and Primavera software can not do it.
Did you try other PM software to solve your problems?
Forum Guest
Very Good, finally you got it. Users as large as Motorola, Siemens...

Launching a new satellite, developing a new MRI machine, or even developing a new stealth fighter is more complex than a hundred times all our projects together.

I bet they also use the financial package SAP.

Would you use SAP to run your personal checkbook? Would you recommend it to a paper boy?

Computing power has become so cheap, software is being misused. Today I can run the very same Primavera software Motorola and Siemens from my home computer, even from a laptop.

I am stil with a problem to solve; I understand it is an issue for a large segment of the Construction Industry. An industry where over 99% of those actually doing the work, Construction Contractors, do not have a volume of work in the billions, nor even in the hundred of millions. These contractors usually perform work under separate contracts, on average their schedules never go over a thousand activities.

Why do you think MS Project is the best selling scheduling software in the world? Please do not misunderstand me here, I find it appropriate for IT and manufacturing. For construction businesses I have my reserves, although a huge percentage of contractors are calling for it.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
I don’t know it is my misunderstanding or your misunderstanding forum guess.

If a you think wou dont want to change the way you operate it is nothing much I can suggest.

All the best!

BTW if you unable to do the job, does not mean other cant. I see users as large as motorola , telstar, siemens are using the system in a good way, if you want to blind floded...
Forum Guest
"With resource Code and Structured resource"

****WITH HUNDREDS OF STAND ALONE PROJECTS THE CONFUSION IS STILL THERE. SORRY - NO GOOD.

"Once you structured you resource pool, you simply delete all resource under that resource structure after removing the project"

****WITH HUNDREDS OF STAND ALONE PROJECTS THE CONFUSION IS STILL THERE. SORRY - NO GOOD.

-"To me, it sound like your company just buy the product without having some consultation from the vendor“.
You cannot buy Primavera software from the shelf in your local newspaper stand. Our Primavera vendor and my Boss, who bought the product, will insist it is the right tool. I am stuck with it, and therefore I have no other option than to look for a solution within P3e.

"Your vendor should provide expert advice of how to configurate the product to fit your company’s need."

*** WE CHANGED VENDOR FOR LACK OF SUPPORT THE NEW VENDOR IS SOMEWHAT BETTER BUT IS STILL LIMITED BY THE SOFTWARE.

As of now your suggestion confirms what I am doing is not an absurd idea, please either improve on it or suggest other options within this platform.

"No but you have to also understand that one of the most important function / power of P3e/teamplay is on the rollup capability, if you separate the database you lost the power of roll up. Again if that is what your manager want, i dont think you will have problem to run P3e as a stand alone product"

*** I CAN LIVE WITHOUT THE ROLL UP CAPABILITY IN PROJECTS BELOW 20 MILLION DOLLARS (OUR LARGEST JOB), IT IS SIMPLY NOT NEEDED. I CANNOT LIVE WITH A SOFTWARE THAT HAS TO BE UPGRADED TWICE A YEAR.

*** DO YOU REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT A STAND ALONE JOB IS? IT IS NOT EQUIVALENT TO A STAND ALONE PRODUCT. IT SEEMS TO ME YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE IMPLICATIONS OF THIS ISSUE.

Cordially,
RD
Alex Wong
"With resource Code and Structured resource"

"Once you structured you resource pool, you simply delete all resource under that resource structure after removing the project"

-"To me, it sound like your company just buy the product without having some consultation from the vendor“.
You cannot buy Primavera software from the shelf in your local newspaper stand. Our Primavera vendor and my Boss, who bought the product, will insist it is the right tool. I am stuck with it, and therefore I have no other option than to look for a solution within P3e.

"Your vendor should provide expert advice of how to configurate the product to fit your company’s need."

As of now your suggestion confirms what I am doing is not an absurd idea, please either improve on it or suggest other options within this platform.

"No but you have to also understand that one of the most important function / power of P3e/teamplay is on the rollup capability, if you separate the database you lost the power of roll up. Again if that is what your manager want, i dont think you will have problem to run P3e as a stand alone product"

Cordially,
RD
Forum Guest
Alex what you suggest, multiple Databases, is essentially what we are exploring, it just do not solve the issues:

Cordially,
RD
Forum Guest
Alex, is that you who wrote the preceding message? Congratulations! Your English is improving...
Alex Wong
Let see
Planner A have
Project 1 Current
Project 1 Baseline (Approved Project)
Project 1 Month 1 status
Project 1 Month 2 status
Project 2 Current
Project 2 Baseline (Approved Project)
Project 2 Month 1 status
Project 2 Month 2 status

Planner B have ....

The way I think will best fit is under each planner they should have a individual P3e database to manages their projects.

Then within each database every project is seperate to each other (independent project code and WBS structure) which have a same Global Coding structure (if you dont want to use a global project code is perfectly ok)

Then each project will have their project resource architecture like the following

Project 1
---Resource A
---Resource B

Project 2
---Resource x
---Resource Y

Then once the project schedule is approved you can use the baseline function and save a current copy of the schedule as a baseline
code & rename the baseline as "Baseline Project 1 Approved @XXX"
after the first monthly update on the project you save another current copy to the baseline and name it as "Month A update - Project 1"

When a revise baseline is needed simply restore the original baseline, made a copy, modify the copy to the latest information, and reassign both project back to the baseline, tick the latest baseline as your primary baseline where all calculation will be then base on the latest baseline.
As a result,
1. you don’t need to have so many different Database
2. you can maintain all version of the project as it updated or details in the full life cycle of the projects.
3. you still have all the flexibility to assign specific project code to individual project without interfere with other projects.

If you dont want to see other project resource you can also code each individual resource so that by running a filter you will not see them when you assigning resource to the activity.

To me, it sound like your company just buy the product without having some consultantion from the vendor. Just like SAP, it is worth the money to have some expert advice on how to set up the system that fit your company otherwise in the long run you end up with a more costly solutions than it antipicated in the first place.

Do it right at the first time...

Forum Guest
I need a stand alone project for each of 20 independent projects updates on a monthly basis. I need to keep track of the various versions along with their ever-changing resource availabilities, calendars, dependencies, auto cost setup, reports, filters, layouts and so on.
It means a minimum of 20 new stand alone jobs/versions every month. We need an exact picture of everything in order to compare the files and validate contractors’ claims.
It is something we have been doing for years under other platforms just by saving every version under a different name, by adding a suffix.
We have invested thousands in this P3e platform, we have required others to follow, unfortunately we are at the point of no return, we must solve the issue within P3e.
We tried with a naming structure to keep al versions within the same database but it is far from acceptable, cumbersome and error prone.
I would appreciate if you can give us a hint on how to keep some 20 versions of 20 stand alone jobs at any given time under P3e. In reality it is a small portfolio of jobs in terms of dollar amount as well as in terms of complexity. Note that the naming structure did not work but it does not necessarily means a single database solution should not be considered.

Thank you again for your free advice.

Cordially
RD
Alex Wong
You simply install a stand alone copy of the P3e

Unless your company want to rollup to the organisation level to look at progress of each individual project. You can have a standalone project on the interbase platform.

Regards

Alex