Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 vs. Excel 2007/2010

7 replies [Last post]
Michael de Kock
User offline. Last seen 13 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

I need some help. What is the interface problems between P3 & excel 2007/10. Can you still use .dbf files, .csv files ect.

Replies

James Johnson
User offline. Last seen 13 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

For myself we are using a front end access database to load all P3 data.  It is faster for the amount of input we do.  In the older version of Excel you had the choice of saving a file to a .dbf 3 or 4 and then import into P3.  This function is no longer available in Excel 07/10. You can open a .dbf file but you can not convert an .xls into a .dbf.  They do have programs that you can buy that will do this, and we are actually in the trial mode with some of them.  When we find one that works well and reliably I will come back and post.  Not sure why Microsoft took this function out of Excel but does not make sense to me.

Regards,

James

James Johnson
User offline. Last seen 13 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

If someone finds another way please let me know.  Do not want to hi-Jack this thread tho will start a new one. 

Regards,

James

Michael de Kock

Thanks guys, I will try this out.

I know P3 is very outdated, I personaly use P6 & P3.1, the problem is that some of our clients still wants P3 to be used.

Michael de Kock

Thanks guys, I will try this out.

I know P3 is very outdated, I personaly use P6 & P3.1, the problem is that some of our clients still wants P3 to be used.

Andrew Corton
User offline. Last seen 12 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Michael,

I find ASCII .PRN files work, just be careful when setting the column widths. Depending on how you've been managing these files todate you could: double-click the .PRN file which will either prompt you to choose which application to use to open the file (Excel) then follow the wizard to format data columns OR it will open immediately, although in the latter the P3 column data fields will appear in one column - if so separate them using various Excel funtions to get the data into the desired format, (LEFT, MID, RIGHT, TRIM) - I use a template for this.    

.WK1 files follow the same processes as above. However, beware they will only accept the first 2048 data rows, so .PRN is generally more reliable.

Hope this helps

Andrew 

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Michael,

P3 is an old software running on 16 bit and no longer compatble with the latest softwares available in the market. They already stopped developing this software 7-8 years ago. The things I used to do to make my life easy no longer functions even a simple conversion to PDF file, you need an old version of adobe or you can use cute pdf converter. The process that Shareef mention above may work, you can maybe export it but importing back the file does not work either. So my advice is to move or switch to P6.

Best regards,

Daniel

Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

I am not aware of excel 10 but with excel 07 you can use .dbf file

.csv file is not compatible.

Even with .dbf file it does not open directly.

You will have to open excel first and then drag and drop the .dbf file onto the open excel window.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Shareef A Azeez