Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Russian Translation

11 replies [Last post]
Karen Smith
User offline. Last seen 14 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

I am working on a project in Kazakhstan and need to add a column for the Activity Description in Russian.
I looked at an old PP forum which suggested a .TTF file called XSESCYR will do the job. Unable to locate this .ttf I found another .ttf file called arko18n which I thought may work. What happens is I copy the translation from an excel sheet but when I paste it into the column I get a row of ??????????. I have added the font to both window and P3.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Karen

Replies

Hannes de Bruyne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 32 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Frederic

the reason is very simple. Primavera is a 16-Bit programm, therefore it uses fonts with only 256 Characters. Windows-fonts now have much more characters and combine Latin, greek and Kyrilic all together in one font. So you habe to find the area for the Greek in the new font and the area in the old font and deduct the difference e.g. 720 for greek
Frederic Fasquelle
User offline. Last seen 1 year 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Hannes de Bruyne,

Your idea is very brillant because in my case we had to have the translator in front my computer, with your method, you just have to send an excel file without need of P3,

Well I let you my adress : fasquellef@yahoo.fr

In your message you are also explaining that in changing number 848 by 720 you could have greek.
What is connected to this number ?
I am currently involved in Korean project, is-it possible to get korean language also ?
Is there any list of associated number to language ?

Many thanks,

Frederic
Karen Smith
Hannes,

My schedule is now successfully translated.
You’re brilliant, thanks heaps.

Karen
Hannes de Bruyne
Hello Frederic

this is just the way we are working, the only difference ist that translation can be done in excel and then be importet - i.e. export ID, description and log1, translate description into russian (in Excel), transform Kyrilic to "P3-Kyrilic" and import again. Create a Kyrilic font in P3 and Label Log1 to the bars.

If you want to have these files, just send me your e-mail address
Frederic Fasquelle
User offline. Last seen 1 year 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Hannes de Bruyne,

I was working last year on Russian contract, and I wasted so many hours in trying to find a solution to get on my schedule russian and english language that it gave me headache.
Well, no I have the solution but I will be highly interested in getting also a sample of your excel file as for Karen.

To come back on my previsous project, final solution decided was to use LOG fields as russian translation. With this solution, I was able to get english version under "Activity Description" column and the translated version on the bart chart.

First operation was to import cyrillic font into my computer thus to import/create into P3 (FORMAT--FONT-- "+").
After defined, you just have to modify your bar definition by using Format--Bars--Modify--Label and to pick up your brand new created font to LOG.

Main constraint of this solution is that somebody must enter translation directly on P3, but as it is done only one time, we loose around 1.5 week for it (around 2000 activities).
Donald Donald
User offline. Last seen 9 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Interesting.
I was able to translate it from Excel to P3 base on my previous directions... I have never used macros for this.
Hannes de Bruyne
If it does not work just send me a small excel-file with 10 russian activities, so that I can install the macro for you.
to:Hannes.de-Bruyne@hochtief.de
Karen Smith
Hannes,
I will try this new macro, I tried the one you posted in Aug 05 without any luck.
Thanks.
Karen
Hannes de Bruyne
Hi there,
this Excel-macro transforms Russian to "P3-Russian"
from Column 21 to column 12, starting by row 3. "P3-Russian" looks funny but can be read if you use the right font.
I use my log1 for the Russion translation and make my log1 the label for my bars. So, I have the two languages in my timeschedule. It also works for Greek by replacing the number 848 by 720.
Your worksheet should be called: Activity

Function TranslateRussian()

iRow = 3
fColumn = 21
tColumn = 12
Worksheets("Activity").Activate
Do While Not IsEmpty(Cells(iRow, 1))
Application.StatusBar = Transforming Row: " & iRow - 2
If Cells(iRow, fColumn) <> "" Then
Test = ""
For i = 1 To Len(Cells(iRow, fColumn))
Zwischen = AscW(Mid(Cells(iRow, fColumn), i, 1))
Test = Test & IIf(Zwischen < 256, ChrW(Zwischen), ChrW(Zwischen - 848))
Next i
Cells(iRow, tColumn) = Test
End If
iRow = iRow + 1
Loop

End Function
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
hmm, interesting. This tff file; what’s the process for using that?

I could have use of another act descript column to show alternative language (although mine are european, so no need for alt alphabets) and I’m using log fields at the moment, but this is constrained as they won’t show as a column

/edit; oh I see, it uses custom data items. nvm, I need all of those for other stuff anyway
Donald Donald
User offline. Last seen 9 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
1st:
Start -- Settings -- Control Panel --Regional & Language Options -- Advanced -- Language for Unicode.... -- RUSSIAN.

Reboot PC for adjust.

2nd:
Make sure that P3 use Cyrillic Fonts, not Western!

3:
Even if you have everything fixed and will send this PRX file to somebody else they probably also will have the problems with ?????????????