Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Removing all relationships from a Project

12 replies [Last post]
Pranab Kumar Deb
User offline. Last seen 2 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Dear all,
Can some one tell me the easiest way of removing all the activity relationships from a Project of about 1400 activities at the shortest possible time???
regards
deb

Replies

ulysses garcia
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Hi

This problem remains unconvenient to p3 user’s.. Why not turn your back from p3 to primavera P5 it’s a users friendly but powerfull tool.
Pranab Kumar Deb
hello Valentin,
I believe the best option is to export the relationship in excel and then importing it.
regards
deb
Valentin Sendula
User offline. Last seen 9 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Ah I see... that is too bad. I also wish there was a button where you could just remove the relationships. What about setting baselines before you add relationships and then when you want to remove the relationships, restore baselines. It then puts a copy of the project back or something like that. I haven’t tried this yet.
Pranab Kumar Deb
Hello Valentin,
Contractually we are not allowed to change the activity ID’s , it is also about trackability.
what ever features u mentioned for copy-paste in P5 , can be achieved in P3 with fragnets
regards
deb
Sajid Balma
User offline. Last seen 12 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Parnab
With P3 3.0 you are right. It will ask you to rename. It sounds unlikely that it will duplicate all activities less their relationships.
Valentin Sendula
Hi,

I don’t know in P3 3.0 but in version 5.0 (which i believe is also known as P3E(nterprise) or P3 version 5.0 you can choose which things you want to paste (WBS, Relationships, etc.).
It exactly duplicates the activities, less the slections you make. This is within the same project. If you paste them into a new project it automatically disables pasting WBS’s... so when you past it into new project the WBS’s are gone, but within same project you get an exact duplicate. I tried it a few times today and it worked out just like I described above.

Regards,

Valentin

Ps. Sorry, forgot about Activity Id’s. Yes when you do copy-paste, it pastes it with new Activity Id’s, which is normal. But might I ask why you would like to preserve Activity Id’s?
Pranab Kumar Deb
Dear Valentin,
Just wondering if you copy and paste in that way than i believe i have to rename the activity ID’s , hence the whole motive of the exercise will be lost , though i have never worked or even seen P5 .
regards
deb
Valentin Sendula
I don’t know if this works in other versions but in in Primavera version 5.0 you just select all the activities where you want to remove the relationships, you copy them and paste them in the same project. When you click paste the screen appears with what you want to paste, so you deselect relationships and click ok.
Then you get a copy of all your activities but without the relationships. Now you can delete the original activities that still have relationships.

Good luck.
Pranab Kumar Deb
Dear Mr. Rodel sorry to bother you , it works perfectly as well , ACTUALLY MY MISTAKE WAS TO EXPORT "THE CONTENTS OF LIST "AT THE FIRST PLACE AND NOT "SUCCESSOR RELATIONSHIPS"
THANKS
DEB
Pranab Kumar Deb
Thanks Mr. Eugene that works perfectly well .
Mr. Rodel I dont have access to Lotus 1,2,3 please can u advice me how can i do the same with excel , i tried doing it with excel but i am getting a message, when i try to save the excel sheet which says " some features might be lost"
please advice how it can be done in excel
regards
deb
Eugene K
User offline. Last seen 12 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
create a new project BLNK (blank).
then u should find a file BLNKREL.p3

if ur project that u wnat to remover the relationship is ABCD, you can delete (or rename just to be safe) ABCDREL.p3
Copy BLNKREL.p3 as the new ABCDREL.p3

That should work...
It worked for me when i remove all resources using same method for ????RES.p3
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 4 days 5 hours ago. Offline
Hi Pranab Kumar,

Please follow the thread RE:Delete Activity Relationship
"http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=2&Top=29889"
I already explained using Import/Export in P3 Project Utilities can do the job for you.

Regards,
Rodel