Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Actual resource utilization updation

5 replies [Last post]
Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Resource projection for a particular activity from the planned programme normally differs from the actual usage in the site. It can be either over or under from what was projected.

I happened to hear that this has to be corrected or updated in the programme else the projects where in the activity counts exceeds 50000 will go out of control.

Can any 1 tell me how it is done!!!!!!!!

I happened to hear that it has to be adjusted in the cost

has any1 encountered this ?

Replies

Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Sharef,
Its seems like out of control there. Anyhow, I advise u to call your cost control start measure the activities cost base on your planning activities and apply to another schedule by cost, then monitor.
Thats mean u have 2 schedule, One in cost and one for progress measurement. So every week u just transfer the progress to cost schedule and gave it to your cost control dept. to measure.

Basically in practice the cost control have to provide, the activity code with cost, then we breakdown the activites base on the code but seems already dispute i suggest u can do inverted way but it will burden your cost control little bit.
Just that for now, let see first. for futher information just PM to me.
Shareef Abdul Azeez
Hi Raja

Thnx for the information. I think ive got some idea of what you r trying to explain.

The real thing is, I am with the contracting side and we have a lot of projects running here with necessarily enough Planning Engineers. But the thing is this system of planning as a department is new in our company, say like 2 years now and what I feel from hearing from all you is that my company is just going on with the basics of planning of preparing a CL14 programme for starting works and yes use it for claims.

We dont have a technique of using it do any costing on it.The thing is most of the people or the foremen, dont even know how to give the right information and like what u said work just goes ahead with the availabilty of areas and we dont normally keep preparing revised internal programmes for the change in direction of works.
So u see its all a mess.

How do you think we can develop from here.
The projections we make are kind of OK.

But like what I said, no costing....

What can you comment on this?
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi,
yes we incorporate the manhours in our schedule using by Time Unit, then we comeout with S-Curve. We base on Time Chit that every contractor have to submit when shift change.
The real problem when comes to resequence the schedule, as U know there is so many method and idea to execute the construction, (so what happen the contractor will change their direction, what i mean... suppose in our method statement have to start with "A" but they start with "F",or the material no at site so the planner will get buzy until not enough time and other factor cntribute like equipment not available or any activities not being include may cause difficulty. The more changes in the schedule the more problem u will interface and the gap of actual will be widen with no period)
So base my view U have to get 3 planner to run this 35000 activities, beside the clerk. So far planning side dont have any problem, only thing how to manage the team and the contractor to coporate in providing the realistic information.

Thats all. anything just ask, I try to answer.
Shareef Abdul Azeez
ok Raja Izzat Raja

It is good to know how youve worked on your projects.And the method where u ask foremen to write down progress is very good. And yes u monitor the progress daily but u might update it only weekly or bi monthly i presume.

Anywayz I would like like to specify the question that is there a way to update the actual resource utilization in P3. Or is this not so significant?

But like what ive said b4 . Some 1 happened to tell me , the project will go out of control if the actual resource utilization is not input into the programme.
I would be delighted if u can throw some light on this topic.

Yes .....ofcourse I am still waiting for you to continue
:)

Raja Izat Raja Ib...
FYI, i have done about 35000 activities for turnaround, from my experience, we use 1 room 10 x 20 ft large and we employed 4 site technical supervisor(Clerk of works) who responsible doing tagging numbers for blind flange, checking gasket base on piping system following worklist, check and monitoring progress, 2 clerk for data and progress entry, 1 project coordinator and 1 Planner. Ok what we do, we staple all the schedule in A4 paper over the wall and we order each contractors to update their progress on the schedule every day before they going back and our site check the progress in the schedule have been compile like a book then passed to the data entry clerk for update at the same time planner analyse the schedule, prepare report, Scurve for our project coordinator to present next morning. just that for now.to be contd