Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Split activity

6 replies [Last post]
Donovan Govender
User offline. Last seen 9 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have an activity that has a duration of 6 days, but is done over a period of 18 days, work 2 days, break 6 days, work 2 days, break 6 days, work 2 days,how do I input this info so that it shows on my barchart
Thanks
Donovan

Replies

Donovan Govender
Thanks guys really appreciate help and info

Regards
Donovan
Nazarulislam Kama...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Activity can be split during updation by using Suspend Dates from Activity form. Once an activity started, actual start will be available, then u can suspend for any particular period and resume after sometime. so use Dates button in activity form during updation.
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Donovan,

Since you have a pattern or work/off work (2days on/6 days off) you could also try a repetitive activity with a lag of 6days then use activity codes or hammock to represent them in a group..

Cheers!

Christian
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline
Donovan,

the resource leveling facility can allow an activity to be split if the resource is not available. This works very well, but is usually an "extra" when resource levelling is already being used. You COULD use resource levelling specifically to achieve the result you are looking for by attaching a "dummy" resource with an availability pattern that matches your downtime to the activity to be split. Not for the faint hearted!
Donovan Govender
Thanks David, what is the commands under Tools-Level- splitting,apply to
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline
Donovan,

The only way to do it is to put the activity on a specific calendar that has holidays which match your down time.

As always with such requests, I ask whether this single activity with several breaks is not best expressed in P3 as several activities which share an activity code as this allows a bar to be drawn at the summary level with the breaks showing.