Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Driving Resources With No Activity Split

1 reply [Last post]
Jonathan Barry
User offline. Last seen 18 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am trying to buid a programme where the resources are driving the schedule which I have managed to do. All good so far. My problem lies when an entire acivity does not fit in to the remaining ’work’ time specified in the calendar. I want the activity to only start if there is enough time for it to finish in any given shift/opportunity of work.

I have gone back to basics in a hope of getting the programme to work! I’ve read the manuals, researched the net, asked many people yet nobody seems to be able to answer me this one.

The project ’planning unit’ is in hours and each activity lasts for 12 hours.

I’ve started off with one driving resource assigned to each activity which has a ’unit’ of ’1’ and a ’limit’ of ’1’.

My Global Calendar has 2 shifts per day at 12 hours per shift. I have set up my calendar to work weekends only for the full 48hrs.

This means 4no. activities fit in to each weekend where I have specified work time, perfect and all seems to work. However, if I reduce the ’work time’ in the calendar for any particular weekend to say 40hrs for example, 3no. activities fit perfectly in to this weekend and are followed by 8hrs of the next activity with the remaining 4hrs in the next available weekend (in reality this is a piling rig so it can’t be split like this).

How can I stop these activities from splitting? I have specified ’0’ Splits using the Level function?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

J

Replies

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline
In essence these activities are not being split by the resource levelling process, but by the scheduling process which you are choosing to drive by resource calendars rather than activity calenders. There is no "contiguos activity" option in Primavera.

If what you are trying to do is provide a schedule which contains only "contiguous" activities, I would suggest that you use a filter which will exclude those activities whose end date transgresses the boundary for contiguos operation.