Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

trouble importing activity codes into P3 from exel

8 replies [Last post]
Hazel Stilgoe-McC...
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anyone tell me slowly step by step how to import activyt codes into P3, I have done what I normally do but they are not appearing. I have created new activity codes to match the codes already used at work.

I havent done this for a while and am having a brunette moment

Replies

Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Moderator,

Please delete my first post. I inadvertenly mis spelled Hazel’s name. Please retain the second post.

You may delete this message as well.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jorge
Jorge Taguinod
Hi Hazel,

Are you trying to:
A. Import Activity Codes into the Activity Codes Dictionary? This means that you are defining new codes.

or

B. Import Activity Code Values onto activities (existing or newly created)?

For (A) - I use Batch processing. Please refer to the electronic document on Batch, which is included in your P3 installation disk. It’s quite easy. Just follow the steps. Don’t forget to backup before performing this!

For (B) - You can use spreadsheets.
(sorry if i make some mistakes here. I’m in an internet cafe. And they don’t have P3 installed here)
1. From the menu, click Tools, Project Utilities, Export.
2. Add a new export definition. (Click Add or +, whichever is present)
3. Export the following:
- Activity ID
- Activity Description
- Activity Codes
4. Under the Format Tab, type an 8-char filename. Specify the filetype. You can use Lotus or DBF.

Note on DBF file format: If you use DBF, note that you cannot add data under the last line (row). If you want to add additional lines of data, make sure you INSERT rows before the last row shown in Excel. If you do not do this, any data added under the last row will not be saved and will be lost upon import to P3.

5. Under the selection Tab, specify which activities you’d like to export. If you want to export all activities, leave this area blank.

6. Launch Excel and open the file created. Remember to change the filetype (to Lotus or DB) since the default file type is Excel worksheet.

7. You’re now ready to modify activity codes. Do so. Do not modify the headers.

8. When you’re done, Save the file. And close it. Otherwise, it won’t be read by P3’s Import facility.

9. Go back to P3. (your project should be open). From the menu, select Tools, Project Utilities, Import.

10. Click Add (or New? or +?), whichever is there. In the new definition, simply specify the file you’d like to import. Then run.

Hope this works. Usually does.

Best regards,

Jorge
Jorge Taguinod
Hi Haze,

Are you trying to:
A. Import Activity Codes into the Activity Codes Dictionary? This means that you are defining new codes.

or

B. Import Activity Code Values onto activities (existing or newly created)?

For (A) - I use Batch processing. Please refer to the electronic document on Batch, which is included in your P3 installation disk. It’s quite easy. Just follow the steps. Don’t forget to backup before performing this!

For (B) - You can use spreadsheets.
(sorry if i make some mistakes here. I’m in an internet cafe. And they don’t have P3 installed here)
1. From the menu, click Tools, Project Utilities, Export.
2. Add a new export definition. (Click Add or +, whichever is present)
3. Export the following:
- Activity ID
- Activity Description
- Activity Codes
4. Under the Format Tab, type an 8-char filename. Specify the filetype. You can use Lotus or DBF.

Note on DBF file format: If you use DBF, note that you cannot add data under the last line (row). If you want to add additional lines of data, make sure you INSERT rows before the last row shown in Excel. If you do not do this, any data added under the last row will not be saved and will be lost upon import to P3.

5. Under the selection Tab, specify which activities you’d like to export. If you want to export all activities, leave this area blank.

6. Launch Excel and open the file created. Remember to change the filetype (to Lotus or DB) since the default file type is Excel worksheet.

7. You’re now ready to modify activity codes. Do so. Do not modify the headers.

8. When you’re done, Save the file. And close it. Otherwise, it won’t be read by P3’s Import facility.

9. Go back to P3. (your project should be open). From the menu, select Tools, Project Utilities, Import.

10. Click Add (or New? or +?), whichever is there. In the new definition, simply specify the file you’d like to import. Then run.

Hope this works. Usually does.

Best regards,

Jorge
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Also, be sure to export the file WITH HEADER information. Leave the headers alone when updating. This is how P3 knows what your data represents. Good luck!
Hannes de Bruyne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 33 weeks ago. Offline
which format do you use for import/export dbf or wk*? If you use dbf, DO NOT CHANGE column width at the Excel-sheet.
Hazel Stilgoe-McC...
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
I have exported the data then inserted the data I need in the spread sheet but nothing happens on import
Hannes de Bruyne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 33 weeks ago. Offline
Try this way - first export your data, than you will have exactly the format you need to import - look for the difference with the file you want to import. Mostly you will find the reason quit fast.

Hannes
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Hazel,

You may check if the file is in the correct path.

Cheers,

Charlie