Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

customize bar chart legend?

3 replies [Last post]
Maria Ahlberg
User offline. Last seen 12 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
How can I customize the bar chart legend?
I would like to show both bars, milestones and flags in the bar chart legend.
Can it be done?

Thank you for any ideas

Replies

Maria Ahlberg
User offline. Last seen 12 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Thank you for your replies!

I have also got one other solution.
If I create a new bar in Format, bars, and call it for example "Milestones" I can assign a new position to this bar.
With this bar I only want the endpoints to show. I can now make the endpoints look like milestones.
Remove the bar outline and make the color of the bar white.
Assign the Start and finish points to be the custom data item that you want to show.
This way I get a bar chart legend which shows all bars including milestones.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
Maria

To show the Milestones legend I suggest you get a copy of a screen capture programme like SnagIt and copy the appropriate area from the Endpoints form by selecting Format, Bars, Endpoints. This graphic may then be pasted onto the Gantt Chart or possibly inserted as a logo if it is not too small. The bars may be displayed as a normal bar char legend.

None of it is really ideal.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers, Training & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
There is an option, in Format, Bars, Pattern to customise the legend, save this as a *.wmf file which can then be included in the legend area.

If this is not comprehensive enough, try creating your custom legend in Excel and either copy/paste this into the bar area, using Insert, Object (this is particurlarly useful if you are plotting an A0 sheet).

Or you can save your Excel creation as a graphic (*.bmp, *.wmf etc) and include in your legend as a logo (you do get problems with size/scale though).

HTH