Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

bar chart with s-curve

7 replies [Last post]
Orlando Asis
User offline. Last seen 18 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Im still new with p3.Is anyone you ,guys, there, who are experts can help me out?

Can a P3 generate a bar chart with an s-curve?

Thanks.

Replies

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
You need to be careful of compare the report generator in P3 and the Layout view. They display a very different information. Especially if you have a different target plan.

Check BQ and QAC and check the accumulated value carefully.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Sirs,

Thanks very much.I’ll try to it....with my own.Hoping to keep in touch to all of you soon.

Keep cool:-)

Your Student,

ORLAN
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
If I understand correctly you wish to forecast the deliverables or output of your project.

A resource in scheduling software may be used to define may things and when you create your resources, you may also consider them within the context of the following headings:

1. Input Resources
These resources are required to complete the work and represent the project costs:
- Individual people by name.
- Groups of people by trade, discipline or skill.
- Individual equipment or machinery by name.
- Groups of equipment or machinery by type.
- Groups of resources such as Crews, Gangs or Teams made up of equipment and machinery.
- Materials.
- Money.

2. Output Resources
These could be the project deliverables or outcomes and could have a direct relationship to the project income:
- Specifications completed.
- Bricks laid.
- Tones of material loaded with an excavator.
- Lines of code written.
- Tests completed.
This type of resource is often used in the mining environment where the output in tones or volume is scheduled and/or leveled.

The analysis of and difference between the Input and the Output resources’ value and timing may be used to represent the Cash Flow, Cash Position and Project Profit (or loss).

The type of contract that the work is being conducted under would often determine if the client is more interested in the Input or Output Resources.

Therefore your need to decide what you wish to model in your schedule and define resource/s to provide the required output.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers
www.eh.com.au
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Sirs,Thank you vry much for the reply.It was very much appreciated.But, as i’ve noticed some of you are all referring to the bar chart for the resource.Sorry i was not able to specify.During the pre project implementation
can a p3 generate a bar chart with s- curve based on [ WEEKLY PROJECTED ACCOMPLISHMENT ].

Thanks,

ORLAN
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
You may produce a bar chart with the S-curve underneath by displaying the Resource Profile and selecting the appropiate setting for the Resource Profile and Printing.

ALthernatively the Graphical Reports function do have the facility to overlay an S-Curve on a Bar Chart. There is an example of this on Page 16 of the my Technical Paper - Pactical Appliaction of Earned Value Performance Measurement Using P3 on my web site.

You wll need to create the resource curve report and then create the bar report and there is an option on the Content of the bar report form to select an S-Curve that is overlaid on the bar report.

The output is not too flash and to obtain the earned, actual and planned you will need three schedules one resresenting each curve.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers
www.eh.com.au
Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
And when You want to print the s-curve with the bar chart, in page set up flag on the Resource/Cost display.

Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
This is how to do it:
Go to the FF Menu
1- View >>> Resource Profile ... Select option
2- Page Set up >>> Tick Resource cost overlay