Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

TOTAL Float

4 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can somebody help me in answering me the following question in seriatim on priority ?

a) Does Total Float means the Completion Date of Project?
b) For a CPM schedule, will the total float of all activities be zero. If not will we have to make zero float of all activities?
c) Front loaded and Back Loaded Curve is used for which type of resources?
d) Why do we need the Backward Pass and Forward Pass in scheduling? Illustrate Backward and Forward Pass calculation by a simple example?
e) While giving 100% progress why does the bar become invisible in P3?

Regards

Replies

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
This does look like some student was sharing his or her homework assignment with us, doesnt it?

Just in case the questions were legitimate and the requestor really was trying to understand the concepts and problems, I will answer the last question:

Why does the bar disappear when you status the activity 100% complete?

This is a typical error many ‘Schedulers’ make, they forgot to input the Actual Start and Actual Finish dates. You told the scheduling software that the activity is complete but you didn’t tell it where to plot the complete activity. Until you supply the Actual Start and Actual Finish dates, the scheduling software will do what you told it to do; make the activity bar disappear.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
LOL... Another homework assignment successfully completed...

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Jeffrey Huneycutt
User offline. Last seen 3 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Can somebody help me in answering me the following question in seriatim on priority ?

a) Does Total Float means the Completion Date of Project?

No, total float is the difference between the late finish and early finish of an activity. Float is how much time an activity can slip before it becomes critical. In general activities with zero float are critical.

b) For a CPM schedule, will the total float of all activities be zero. If not will we have to make zero float of all activities?

In general the only activities with zero float will be those activities that are critical.

c) Front loaded and Back Loaded Curve is used for which type of resources?

The s-curve shape is determined by what type of loading you place on your resources(ie front loaded or back loaded, etc.). This s-curve tracks the earnings on a project. The project s-curve is based on all of the resources.

d) Why do we need the Backward Pass and Forward Pass in scheduling? Illustrate Backward and Forward Pass calculation by a simple example?

The forward pass determines the early start and early finish. The backward pass determines the late finish and late start. Once you have done this you can find the total float for each activity and determine the critical path. If needed I can send you a sample calculation.

e) While giving 100% progress why does the bar become invisible in P3?

Which bar? The acitivity bar should still show even at 100%. You could have a filter running, you could have the bar checked not to be displayed...

Alphons Bruns
User offline. Last seen 1 year 23 weeks ago. Offline
Start Float is the difference between the early and late start dates;
Finish Float is the difference between the early and late finish dates; and Most Critical Float is the least (most critical) of the start or finish floats.