Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 Barchart into PowerPoint

8 replies [Last post]
Can anyone tell me how to get a simple one-page P3 barchart placed into Microsoft Powerpoint so that you can then anotate it or include it in a presentation ?

Do you have to print it to a postcript file or something ?

James

Replies

Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi my kabayan and folks,
To do this just open your project,go to the following menu : File , Preview picture ,save ( put file name and select path etc) this enable you to same a Metafile object and you can copy this to power point etc....

Moises Donato
Bechtel Engineering Overseas
Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Another way is to use Copy and Paste. This is fast if you want to put in just a couple of pages.

Procedure:

1. Open the layout you want.
2. From the menu, select EDIT, COPY PICTURE
3. Draw a window around the graphics you want to use.
4. Go to Powerpoint and simply press Ctrl-V.

Let me know if you have problems with this.

have a great day!

Jorge
Crown Systems (Philippines)
Ed van der Tak
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Gents,

I know it already some time ago, but never to late for an other option on this issue.

Most of us are already using Acrobat Reader. If you can create PDFs yourself this has preference in making a print (pdf) file whenever you have to mail your schedule. The layout is far better than the ways described in previous posts. For instance printing at A3 size on a A4 paper. Now back to the question : when you have a PDF file you can "save as" this file to .jpg (1 page per file). These file types can then be inserted to a PowerPoint presentation (as presented on hardcopy!).

Good Luck,

Ed van der Tak
ARAM Planning Consultants
The Netherlands
Colin,

Thanks loads. I really can’t see why I have not thought of doing it that way before. What a berk.

Thanks for the tip. Hey, this forum aint bad !!!

James
Colin Cropley
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
James
There are two ways you can place a barchart, as you would print it, including title block, into a Powerpoint presentation. The methods are also usable for MS Word. I am assuming you are using P3 Version 3.1 or 3.0.

1. Create a Windows Metafile file from the schedule - Menu: File/Preview Picture.
Adjust the margins to zero or close to zero, then click on the Save button. You will be required to name the file with a 5 character name (eg, "PROJ1". P3 will add "001.wmf", giving "PROJ1001.wmf". By default it will save into the P3WINOUT folder, or you can choose somewhere else.
In Powerpoint, you can then use Menu: Insert Picture / From File.
Drag the corner of the image to enlarge it to fill the space. The .wmf file is a vector graphic and therefore does not become "blocky" as you enlarge it.
You can add lines, text etc, as per the drawing tools of Powerpoint.

2. Create a Web graphic from your schedule, using Menu: File/Save As Web Page. Select graphic format - either jpg or png.
Procedure is then similar to case 1, except this image is a bitmap, not a vector graphic, so the picture can become noticeably "blocky" as it is enlarged. Mostly, though the images enlarged in this way from .jpg or .png for a Powerpoint display are acceptable.

The screen capture method suggested by others is OK for portions of a layout, but does not give you the title block view like File/Preview.

Hope this helps you
Colin Cropley
Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 7 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

another solution , you can link the program it self to power point ,go to: OLE(object linking embiding).

this option is available in all MS-Office programes and even Autocad program as well as Primavera.

Regards
Ali
----------------------------------
Thanks v.much for the suggestion.

It looks so simple !!

James
Leefaisal Razali
User offline. Last seen 4 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Usually what I did was, I will do the PrtSc (print screen) then paste in the paint cut the area/barchart you need and paste to the Power Point
Good Luck
-Leefaisal