Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Is a "bag of cash" a legal expediting fee?

4 replies [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Is a "bag of cash" a legal expediting fee?  Or suitcase of 20's or100's adding to 10K or something.  Sounds shady, but if both parties handle it correctly on their taxes it would not be illegal.  I think the cash instead of the check just gives each parties options - but what the other party does is not your problem, plus it is sexier as "cash". 

Replies

John Reeves

Thank you for the comment, there would be no reason to do it that way if intending to be above board.  It would be an un-necessary risk because both parties would be in legal jeapordy if either party did not report correctly.  I assume paying in cash would not be in-nately illegal if handled legally.

John Reeves

Thank you for the comment, there would be no reason to do it that way if intending to be above board.  It would be an un-necessary risk because both parties would be in legal jeapordy if either party did not report correctly.  I assume paying in cash would not be in-nately illegal if handled legally.

John Reeves

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 20 hours 11 min ago. Offline

Your proposition would be illegal and the responsible people and organisations prececuted for bribing a forign official in many countries including Australia and the European Union. The bribe does not have to be called a 'bribe' to contravene the law and all that is needed to trigger legal jurisdiction in Australia is for a company in the 'chain' to be present in Australia. The actul payment may be made by someone acting as an agent for a subcontractor, but the company in Australia is still liable. There have been quite a few successful prosecutions since the laws were introduced.  

I would expect the laws are similar in most advanced economies.