Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

1 Project - 2 Contractor - Import of Data

5 replies [Last post]
Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 6 days 21 hours ago. Offline

Hello Everyone,

May be this topic has been dicussed here but couldnt find it.

The situation is I am the Client Planning Engineer for a "Building Project". I have 2 Subcontractors Civil Contractor and MEP Contractor and they have prepared the baseline schedule.

So I need to update my schedule which is a combination of Civil and MEP Works. So I want to import data from Civil Contractors updated scheule as well as MEP Contractors updated schedule.

At the end I have one updated schedule which shows both Civil and MEP Work.

How Is this done ?

Any link or a pictorial represntation on how to do that would be really helpful.

Regards

Jithin

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 13 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

no next month when you get the schedule and if you follow my instruction you see that it is a different 

next month when you get the updated schedules copy the master schedule 

take the civil schedule and import it but this time during the import process where it say Import Project Options click in the IMPORT ACTION box select UPDATE EXISTING

after that 

take the MEP schedule and import it but this time during the import process where it say Import Project Options click in the IMPORT ACTION box select UPDATE EXISTING

during the import process you can pick and choose what and how to import data

when you get to the Update Project Options select MODIFY

this is where you can select Update Existing, Keep Existing or Do not import for the global data as well as the project data.

Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 6 days 21 hours ago. Offline

Thanks Everyone,

So when you import the Resource and Cost also would be imported ?

After importing I have to link the Civil to the MEP Schedule, so then it becomes the master schedule.

So everytime when both of the Contractor update the schedule and I import it to the master schedule, the master scheduel would be updated too.

Regards

Jithin

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Just open both project schedules at the same time. Use a common Activity coding structure for both and it can appear to be a single schedule. 

Now getting the links an the logic across both schedules is a different issue!

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Jithin use the Reflection function as this was made by Primavera for that purpose.

Regards,

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 13 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

The key is preparation and is to make sure that they both use the same WBS structure and that the DONOT use the same activity id number I would come up with a nomenclature to use such as all civil activities begin with the letter C and all mep activities begin with the letter M. If it is not like this to begin with you can easily create a global change to add a prefix to an activity id. 

also if you are using activity codes make sure that they are using the same coding structure. 

import one schdeule straigth up as it is and use that as the master lets say you use the civil schedule as the master

have the civil project open and select file import

and then select the MEP project 

during the import process where it say Import Project Options click in the IMPORT ACTION box select ADD TO EXISTING

this will add the MEP project into the civil project and now you will have a master project

if the wbs is different you can move or re-assign the mep activities to the proper wbs location.

now you need to make the relationship links between the civil activities and the MEP activities and re-calcuate the schedule.

next month when you get the updated schedules copy the master schedule 

take the civil schedule and import it but this time during the import process where it say Import Project Options click in the IMPORT ACTION box select UPDATE EXISTING

after that 

take the MEP schedule and import it but this time during the import process where it say Import Project Options click in the IMPORT ACTION box select UPDATE EXISTING

during the import process you can pick and choose what and how to import data

when you get to the Update Project Options select MODIFY

this is where you can select Update Existing, Keep Existing or Do not import for the global data as well as the project data.