Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Summarization for Custom data item-Please help

4 replies [Last post]
Florante Ileto
User offline. Last seen 12 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am preparing a schedule with 3 calendar id
1-No Friday & Saturday
2-No Thursday, Friday & Saturday
3-7 days work week

Each of these calendars are being used alternately per activity

My problem is, I need to show the total durations base on calendar 3.

I made a custom data item, titled it DUR.
I used GLOBAL CHANGE to create formula as follows:
If Cal = 1, or Cal=2, or Cal=3
Then DUR=EF-ES
I got the result I want

What lacking in this is, it is adding up the total duration per activity.Instead of 240 days, the total is 768 days.

I look at tools=>option>summarizing but none
I also look at autocost but nothing I found.

Anybody?

Thanks & Regards in advance.

RANTE
Doha, Qatar

Replies

Glenn Douglas
User offline. Last seen 1 year 40 weeks ago. Offline
Rante,

If you are using P6 (with ’Undo’) and you only you need a quick ’what if’ scenario, you could add the ’calendar’ column (From ’General’) change the first acivity to 7 day workweek then use ’fill down’ see what your finish date is compares to the original calendar.
Then ’Undo’.

If your using P5 then make a copy which can be deleted afterwards.
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
Rante
Sorry I currently have no solution; just tried with a UDF.
EF-ES uses the same calendar as the activity. My idea was that it may use the base calendar.
Regards
Dieter
Florante Ileto
User offline. Last seen 12 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thank you Dieter for your reply, but what I need is to show durations(Total Durations actually)of the whole project.

You see, P3 have a standard "Orig Dur" Column, wherein the formula that it uses is generally EF-ES.

Since I am using 3 different calendar id,it does not reflect the total calendar days but working days only on the Summary.

What I need is another column which works same as that of "Orig Dur" column but uses calendar 3 only without changing anything from the logic of the schedule.

Thank you again.

RANTE
Doha, Qatar
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
Rante
I assume you want to show durations of some groups of activities. May be you’ll use a Level of Effort or Hammock for each group and assign cal no.3 to them. In your presentation or report you’ll show only these LoE - by a filter.
Regards
Dieter