Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Little bit of Excel help please.

3 replies [Last post]
Keith James
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Is there a way to plot one s-curve against percentage complete on one side and hours earned on the other in that it will automatically adjust the hourly scale to accomodate any added hours??

For example, in my line of work, we establish a baseline s-curve for the expected work against a calender. During the performance we are hit with added work and it adds to our total work scope. When we add the extra work in our schedule, obviously our budgeted man hours increase. I would like to be able to plot my earned manhours alongside my baseline expected manhours with the baseline staying at 100% and the earned climbing and falling as needed without having to go in and manually adjust the scale. Any help would be appreciated

Replies

Paul Smith
User offline. Last seen 12 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
I think you can plot both hours and percent if you use the "line on 2 axes" chart option in excel.
Keith James
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks John. I am doing the same thing you described. I was just being a little lazy and trying to come up with an "automatic" solution!!
John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Keith,

I don’t think you will be able to get excel to plot both hours and percentages on the same chart.

What I have tried to do over my planing years is to work in the unit of manhour /cost, with percentages being just an add on table to give an indication of the progress.I have found this is easy to understand from a managemnt point of view.

I always start with the "original manhours curve", this being what was "seen" at the start of the project.This curve will never changes and will remains unchanged through out the duration of the project.

When addition manhours of scope is added or even deducted I use a second curve called the "current manhour curve" which reflects the changes.

Against the original & current curves I then add the "actual curve" etc.

If the management need percentages I just set up the excel table and use the data from the curves to generate the percentage.

I have a few pdf examples lying about if you like to contact me, I could email over to you

Regards

John L.