Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Dashboard for Resources

3 replies [Last post]
Eric Gonzalez
User offline. Last seen 4 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

I have been put up with the task of coming up with a way to track resources per project in one major schedule within P6. The essential function for this schedule is to know if our company needs to vamp up engineers. My company has the history of giving their engineers too much work where we fall behind on deliverables. This could be a cornerstone for improving on our deliverables and a possibility for more work. If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

Eric 

Replies

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

If you read it, Eric, I'd be happy to entertain any comments/criticisms/questions.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Eric Gonzalez
User offline. Last seen 4 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks, Stephen. I will look into buying your book Managing Projects as Investments.

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi, Eric. I cover this in detail in my book Managing Projects as Investments.

1. Develop a detailed CPM schedule which allows you to meet all contractual dates comfortably.

2. Plug needed resources into each activity.

3. Develop a resource-limited resource schedule. Identify the delays due to insufficiency of each resource. Estimate the cost (LDs, lost incentives, increased overhead costs, etc.) due to the delays.

4. Add necessary resources to bring completion date back to where it was in CPM schedule. Show the increased ROI thru the decreased LDs, lost incentives, increased overhead costs, etc. as justification for the added resources.

HTH.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan