Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Global Resources Weighting

19 replies [Last post]
Usman Bakundi
User offline. Last seen 15 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Friends,

I am kind of wondering if there is any benchmark to which rates for various resources could be computed in different geograhic location globally.

I mean if there is any form of studies done previously for statistical data good enough to enable professionals apply and get a fair estimate of what Resources in other places might cost for varoius project. Could be weighted factor per geograhical location.

If there is none,it is not too ambitious task to brain storm I guess.

I said my expectations are quite high.

Usman Bakundi (3609)

Replies

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Rolyn,

Yes, of course we need to have good assessment on the right production rate. Therefore both local and global knowledges is needed. However, if we only looking @ local rate, as a planner we will not able to gain the benefit for learning from others.

Like building a commercial highrise, in Hong Kong you can finish each floor per week. You may need four times as much in your project in your country. If you not aware of the productive can be improve by better planning. You may loss the opp. to improve your project’s profit margines. And your company may lost the next project while a international contractor wins the contract. If you ask the question why we are four times longer than the rest of the world then knowledge will arrive as you are seeking the answer and improvement will comes.

What I want to said is, look wider and wiser, we are always in the learning curves. As planner, our job is to plan the works ahead of us. If there is a better way of doing things, we should be the first one to seeking the knowledge.

Kind regards

Alex
Rolyn Jalea
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Alex

I just don’t know if it will work out comparing the benchmark in every region. I mean, there’s nothing wrong in knowing the productivity rates in every country, but using it in a different location is a very big risk. Don’t get me wrong on this, but I think one must focus more on the local aspect, this will give you a more realistic forecast.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Yes and No

IMO to some extends, Global benchmark of production rate and weighting is useful for planning a project. like hrs/m3 pour. hrs/meter lenght track install ...

Of course local knowledge need to be added to the equation in order to have a more realistic esimation. like, % of supervision, safety requirement, union requirement ...

I think this will work out a lot more accurate than pure local or pure global resource weighting/allocation.

Shahzad

If we plan the work only base on local rate/weighting, without compare the rest of the world, we will be like a fog in a deep well. Never open the eyes to the rest of the world.

Alex

Rolyn Jalea
Agree with you bro, global stadardization is impossible when it comes to productivity rates. it will only create confusion and in the end you will get the wrong manpower loading. Right now I am working in U.A.E., I brought with me the parameters which I used when I was working in the Phils., but it is of little help. Site conditions here and in my homeland is very much different. And using those parameters will just mislead me.
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Jolea

You are correct in saying that

"I think every country will have different productivity rates."

and this is the fact.

You cannot standardize the Resource weightage globally because Resource weightage depends upon different area conditions.

However, you can only standardize the resource locally not globally.
Rolyn Jalea
I think every country will have different productivity rates. Climates, Safety Standards, Rules & Regulation are few things that must be put into consideration. for example, Filipinos working in the Philippines will have a diff. prod. rate if he will work in Middle East. The big factor is the climate.
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Robert

I think it is impossible to say that one country Productivity is higher than another.

I have work with most nationality’s and have found that it differ from person to person.

I am currently working on a Project in the UAE. The Construction site strenth is 1,200 people of which only 7 are Nationals. How will this effect your calculation.

In your experiance which is the less productive Nation/Country. I think you will not be able to find an answer to this.

I will speculate with a statement - the more developed a country is the lower the productivity due to the decrease in working hours and the increase in other interest. (Example internet).

Something to think about.
Robert Foedisch
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
I am just stating what I have seen evidenced based on my experiences. nothing is set in stone I was speaking on a general basis there are always situations that can disprove a general statement
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Robert, I think you are making some assumptions that may not prove valid.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
What about union interferance.

How many bricks are a bricklayer aloud to lay a day as per the union.

Or how many meters of welding may a welder produce.

Robert Foedisch
I think a nations work ethic is directly tied to its phase of development its hard to have a strong work ethic if your starving or your living in a hovel and had to learn any trade or skill on the streets or be indentured to a system that is corrupt.
David Watters
User offline. Last seen 19 years 1 week ago. Offline
There is. I have been trying to find it on the Web

Some years ago when I worked for Kvaerner, my department manager had me collect all the data from our close out reports and prepare themn to be submitted to and institution that I beleive was called EPIC.

The gathered data from all major EPC contracts world wide and generated reams of statistics from it: cost, duration, quantity etc etc. Everything you could ever want.

Unfortunately searching on EPIC in google threw back millions of possible hits, even with EPCI and EPC/Kvaerner/Projects etc etc.

But it is out there and from the little I saw of it - it was real gold dust stuff.

Happy Hunting

Dave

PS Will keep on looking and if I find it - will post the web address
Bernard Ertl
Robert, the work ethic is not tangable or measurable, but the effect on productivity is. For example, I have seen welders from the USA, Venezuela, Phillipines, Turkey, etc. I can assure you that the average effiency/productivity between them for the same level of quality work is not nearly the same over the course of a day.

As far as the skill by skill comment, it was not clear from the conversation whether a global factor per region was being discussed or individual factors per skill per region.

Bernard Ertl
Robert Foedisch
Mr. Ertl,
I may be mistaken, and probably am, but it seems to me that a country’s work ethic is not tangable or measureable. While it is important, In terms of production rates it seems that what is needed are things that can be measured.
Also I was under the impression that a craft by craft or profession measurement was the whole idea behind finding world wide production rates.
If I am wrong plese point me in the right direction so i dont waste time spinning my wheels
Sincerely

Bob Foedisch
Robert Foedisch
It seems to me that it is amost impossible to compare the rates of production in developed countries with those of countries that are still in the early stages of development with out using some kind of weighting. My thinking says to use the annual megawatt output for a country. i.e. the higher the megawatt output the less weighting the lower the megawatt output the higher the weighted score.
Bernard Ertl
It sure would be interesting to see the results of a study, but then it would probably only be valid on a skill by skill (or craft by craft) basis.

Some countries have a work ethic / culture that may make up for a lack of maturity / age compared to others.

Then again, I’ve been on a job where the contract labor force was physically less capable than what was available from other regions, but it cost less to assign 3 men instead of 2...

Bernard Ertl
mohsin farooqi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi to all
Iam sorry if iam interrupting your conversation and asking you
for the production rates which you had given on this site implies for 1.no resource or what? for my understanding plz clarify
1)plastering =2.1 m2/hr implies 1.no mason work done per hr or
2)plastering =2.1 m2/hr implies 1.no mason + 1.no labour work done per hr.
which of the above is true?
and how should i know the cycle
regards
mohsin farooqi
Erik Jonker
User offline. Last seen 4 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Usman,

At the moment we are discussing how to make the production rates usable for everybody.

I have posted a message on the forum ID: 7957

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Erik Jonker
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there,

We are in the process (albeit slow) of uploading a much larger rates database that will hold rates from various contries of the world. We have 7,000+. The scripts should allow each of us members to add our own rates or flag up that certain rates are applicable to our home-country. Thereby creating a weighting factor.

We started to look at a simply country weighting factor (i.e. Singapore is 1.1 times China rates etc) but soon found that it did not work as when you look at two different activities from two countries, you see that the factor does not apply to all activities within a country, i.e. you would need a different factor for each type of installation activity. Hence it seemed easier to create various rates for various countries.

However, we have not rulled out showing country variences in terms of a weighting factor. This could still work, but we would need to develop the "master rates table" for a single "baseline" country (what would that be?) and create a factor against each of these rates for each contry. This could be done.

Volunteers are required from the group if this is to be moved forward quickly.

Regards.