Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Automatic tool for product management

1 reply [Last post]
John Stevje
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello everyone!  

Sorry for bad english and grammar, I am not a native speaker... 

I work at small metal metallurgical plant in East Europe. We produce different pieces of metal, they can be divided by size, materials, strength and so on. We have own database where every type of our product (every metal piece) has unique ID.  The process of making pieces has similar operations (stages): founding => forging =>  cooling => cleaning => packing. If any piece doesn't complete previous stage it is impossible to go next (for example without founding there is no way to do a forging). Pieces have different time to complete every stage (different productivity). For example, some big pieces can be forged more than a lot of small pieces. 

I have a list of priority (consistent rows of orders) and start date of making first piece. I need to know if plant starts to produce these pieces in this order what kind of operations every date does have and how many pieces will be finished in these dates. For example, if I start it at 01.01.2019 (with no weekends for instance) how many pieces will be completed on the stage of cooling at 03.01, what is a planned date to finish this... Other words, I need to auto-allocate resources depending of my priority and intersecting operations... 

Nowadays, I use excel-manual drawing and calculations, it is slow and not flexible.  On the Internet there is opinion that MS project can be useful for it, but i have not found youtube guide to do this. Maybe there is another software to solve my problem. Earlier, I had some VBA projects, they were about 1000-1200 rows of code each ones. They took month or two months to "ship". Maybe VBA is good tool as well, but it takes a lot of time to code and test. 

I attached excel file with example in GD.https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1onkXqWowFTzgjlfyGUb1Sp5LSEUZEiTH?usp=sharing 

Replies

This task can be solved by Spider Project Lite.

If you will  want to simulate risks and uncertainties then Spider Project Desktop can help.

Demo version with 40 activities per project restriction may be downloaded from http://www.spiderproject.com/index.php/spiderproject/spiderdemo