Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MSP Automatic unique number generator

5 replies [Last post]
Bob Foden
User offline. Last seen 7 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Help please ?

In MSP I need to generate a unique identifier for each activity in a number of plans that has to be in the following alpha numeric format (XYZ-1234)

Currently I’m manually doing this in a text column. Is there a way to get MSP to automatically generate the next available number when activities are added ?

Cheers

Replies

Bob Foden
Hi Alan,

Just found a "problem" with this. The unique ID is fine when you open up just the one project but if you open up a plan and then insert another plan then the unique ID’s in the inserted plan change out of all recognition. They are still unique but appear to bear no resemblance to their namesake when the solitary plan is opened. Any ideas (again) ?

regards

Bob
Bob Foden
Hi Alan,

No I wasn’t aware of that so thanks. This could be just the ticket!!!

Cheers

Bob
Alan Phillips
User offline. Last seen 3 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Bob,
I don’t know if you are aware that there is a field in MSP which is called "unique ID" and that it automatically generates a unique ID number for every activity / task that is added to your schedule. This number cannot be changed. You could therefore add a text field prior to this field for the text part of your unique number and then have the unique id field next to it to show an overall Unique alphanumeric number. Hope this helps. Kind Regards Alan
Bob Foden
Thanks for your response Darren. At least I can now take some comfort in the fact that there wasn’t a simple solution that I was missing. I shall now wait to see if there are any "kind souls" out there !!!

Bob
Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Bob

I initially thought using the WBS code mask would be the most sensible place to start, but I don’t think it will stay within the alphanumeric format you specified.

Each level of granularity would add another suffix rather than increase incrementally, so I think you’re stuck with the text fields unfortunately.

There probably isn’t a way to do this with the standard MS Project package, however, there might a kind soul on the forum who could fashion you a visual basic macro that will suit your purpose.

Alas I’m not smart enough to help in this area, but let me know if you find anything as I’m intrigued to see if you can do this in MSP.

Regards,

Darren