Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Schedule Development - 91R-16 AACE

3 replies [Last post]
Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 hours ago. Offline

Hello Everyone,

Could you please guide me on the subject " 91R-16 AACE - Schedule Development" - AACE based.

I found this as a requirement on a ITT (Instruction to Tenderers), but have no idea if there is something different in preparing the schedule. I have prepared lots of schedule but not sure which standart it follows.

So by the above standards should I consider something esle.

Regards

Jithin

Replies

Suresh Athani
User offline. Last seen 5 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Everyone,

My question is regarding monthwise manpower requirement based on the programme resources.

For examples; 

5 carpenters & 10 fitters are assigned to an activity of 4 days totalling to 20 & 40 man-days respectively which is planned during the first month

similarly, 4 carpenters & 6 fitters are assigned to an activity of 10 days totalling to 40 & 60 man-days respectively which is planned during the second month

It is obvious that 5 carpenters & 10 fitters are required during the first month & 4 carpenters & 6 fitters are required during the second month.

However, programme output represents the requirement of 1 carpenter & 2 fitter for the first month and 2 carpenter & 2 fitters for the second month.

When dealing with programme having more number of activities and numerous resources, it is difficult to represent monthwise manpower histogramme.

How to deal with this issue? 

Gary Moffatt
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

The AACE says "Schedule development generally includes iteratively refining schedule planning outputs". I too suggest you plunk down the $100 or find a member in your extended group that is a member. Obviously the definitions of terms used by the AACE are going to be relevent to the contract. I would take the 'planning outputs" reference as a specific warning not to 'share' work products in advance of submittal. Should you not like this advice, at least qualify anything unofficial with attaching a full statement about the relevant planning status.

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 4 days 16 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Jithin,

Starting with the obvious, why don't you read it?  Recommended Practice No. 91R-16 is a copyrighted document, prepared by recognized professionals volunteering their time, that is distributed freely to members of AACE International.  It is also available to download for nominal cost (100 USD - https://www.pathlms.com/aace/courses/2928/documents/9508) by non-members.  AACE membership is easily justified on this basis alone.

The document itself is relatively new (revised in March of this year), but there is nothing out of the ordinary being recommended.  Proper levels of detail - including Level 1 to Level 5 - are discussed.  Schedule inputs, tools and techniques, and schedule outputs are defined.  Then a sixteen-step methodology for developing the schedule is described, starting with "Collecting inputs" and concluding with "Communicate the schedule."  I'd summarize the methodology as 1) Define and code the activities; 2) Define and code the activity sequencing logic; 3) Define and load costs and resources; 4) Calculate/Review/approve/communicate the schedule.  This seems consistent with Primavera scheduling primers from the early 1990s. 

Good luck, tom