Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to schedule multiple project together that have different resource Max unit/time

3 replies [Last post]
Ben Chow
User offline. Last seen 6 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi fellow planners,

I am using Primavera 6 and I have multiple projects running at different location in the sea (off shore oil and gas platform) for a project to be executed offshore we need a barge or workboat as a resource there.

I can do the planning for a single site work execution easily and also do resource levelling depending on the project but now I need to schedule the project for multiple locations together because I need to plan the barge/workboat movement.

The issue arrise when the projects have different Max Unit/Time for every labor resources. Meaning if I schedule them all together I will need to assume all the projects in the plan have the same Max unit/time which is not the case. Is there a way to assign Max unit/time specifically for each project when I do the integrated schedule?? Or is there a way to preserve the levelling of individual projects when I schedule them together? Thank you in advance!

Ben

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 12 min ago. Offline

The software I use is different but maybe a similar approach will do the trick if using P6.

• If you are looking to control maximum available units at the project level as well as the global level then a workaround might be to create a dummy resource with the desired maximum at the job level. Then assign the dummy resource the same quantity to every team the global resource is assigned.

Please click following link for sample schedule.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1aa8wrwgt13urbz/How_to_schedule_multiple_project_together_that_have_different_resource_Max_unitptime.pdf

We level resource quantity as leveling effor under partial workloads is unreliable.  We disclose both, quantity and effort.

Cpm schedules - resource quantities and workloads from Rafael Davila

Good Luck

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Ben,

I would add a separate resource with a location identifier then allocate the Max Units/Time that way - e.g. Mechanic-Platform, Mechanic-Barge.

This will also allow you to set different calendars if required, which would also allow you the option of having a different calendar for the barge / work boat to take weather delay's into account.

Each project can then be scheduled independantly, or you can create a stacked histogram to see the combined resource hours for the same trade (or select the multiple trades in the resource profile).

This also allows you to identify the number of personnel on each site (for POB allocation if Offshore), as this is usually the limiting factor in the schedule. Again, the resource profile view will help with this.

We use Primavera EPPM for multiple assets offshore & all resources are set up with a location identifier to allow for the change in Units/Time.

If going this route, it is best to set up a Parent Resource of the Location to allow all the Site Specific resources to be added with the location as the Parent Resource - makes it easier when assigning in the plan.

If you are going to have to change the resource codes that are assigned on each location, then use a global change for each project / location to set the new Resource Code.

If you are using the Resource Leveling within Primavera, then you can then select only the resources you want to be leveled.

Steven

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 12 min ago. Offline

Ben,

I used P6 years ago but not any longer.  If I am not wrong you specify individual values on the resource assignments tab.  Make sure you make visible the column on the assignments tab so that you can edit the value. 

If you are looking to control maximum available units at the project level as well as the global level then a workaround might be to create a dummy resource with the desired maximum at the job level. Then assign the dummy resource the same quantity to every team the global resource is assigned.

Good Luck.