Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Default Unit/Time for Material

5 replies [Last post]
Usman Yasin
User offline. Last seen 3 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I am trying to add to add some material to be used only once in an each activity, regardless the duration of the activities.

But i cannot seem to fix it.

Can someone help me clear this issue?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hello Zoltan

a) a non-labor resource cannot have CY or LF or anythnig elese than hrs/day or days/week for a unit

a non labor can have unist/time but not quantities but you can for material 

b) a material resource cannot use any unit that was not previously defined in the Admin categories

but you can for materail 

c) if the resource being assigned to a task has a Default Units per time = 1, P6 will multiply 1 x the task duration.

correct and you can then change this to whatever the uits should be 

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

my answer is simialr 

I would create a non-labor resource with a default unit/time = 1 hr (NOT zero) because anything multipliedd by zero is zero

Then I will assign this resource to activities, and enter the "quantity" of the material (not 1) in the Budgeted Units field

i.e. CY of concrete, tons of steel, LF of conduit

in the Activity type make sure that the duration type is set to Fixed Duration and Units / Time