Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Interactive Planning Session Question

4 replies [Last post]
Ryan Jarreau
User offline. Last seen 1 year 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

A few times a month, I facilitate interactive planning sessions between owners and subcontracted engineers and constructors. Normally ill print out a big paper timeline, hadwrite activity descriptions on post it notes and positon them on the timeline before the meeting starts. During the course of the discussion, we'll move the post it notes around to create our baseline plan. After the meeting, I'll input the information into P6 with logic, durations, and resources. At that point our baseline schedeule is created.

To me it seems a little unprofessional to handwrite on post it notes, but that's the standard at the company I'm working for. Is there a better way to do this? Does anyone have any tips on how to make an interactive planning session more efficent?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

ade afe
User offline. Last seen 6 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Apologies, wrong post

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

Use a more collaborative Planning and scheduling tool like Netpoint by PMA Technologies.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Ryan

You are describing the "Lean Planning" process which has its use except that you have to do it all over again the next week because nobody actually pays any attention to what the planner says.

BTW you forgot to mention the pins and string.

Best regards

Mike Testro