Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

PDM Start To Finish Relationship Question

19 replies [Last post]
Ekrem TOKA
User offline. Last seen 6 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

Can anyone else give me 3-4 SF relationsip examples for construction management?

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 46 min 48 sec ago. Offline

What is the value of prohibiting SF Links if anyone can work around it so easily?

SF Workaround photo SF Workaround_zps25zadany.png

Rafael Davila
  • What is the value of prohibiting Negative Lag if you can work around it so easily by modeling lag as an activity, a common workaround when using poor risk software that cannot model probabilistic lag?
  • Without breaking the rules but still going back in time!

photo Lag Activity_zpscys3wkx3.png

Rafael Davila

Zoltan,

In my recreation all logic is exposed, no need for dates as it will still be the same model no matter when the job starts.  I had no problem to follow his example.  

http://www.planningplanet.com/forums/primavera-project-planner-p3/414072/negative-lag

photo Anddrei_zps0j5dx5rs.png

Just follow my recreation if you cannot follow his, an example that is not showing dates most probably to save space and make it shorter to present.  

photo NLD_logic_zps0urpkgie.png

photo UsingNL_zps21ij5ff0.png

I am saying that when your software is obsolete and incapable of modeling volume lag then the scheduler has no option than to use whatever workaround works best.  In this specific example it might be Anddrei workaround works best given the limitations in his software.   Otherwise why not use volume lag which avoids frequent fixing of remaining lag, which avoids the resource leveling issues if splitting the activity (a workaround by many unwary schedulers that believe splitting of activity represents same model), which avoids going back to the future among may other issues.

To make this discussion more meaningful I am asking for your solution (not for Anddrei solution) using the functionality available in your software.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Rafel 

I don not konw the software that Andrei is using and I can not see any dates so its hard to analyze the use of a negative lag from a screen shot. I will send you my example of why it does not work especially in Primavera P6.

Rafael Davila

Zoltan

What is wrong with Andrei Sannikov solution to his sample scenario if using software capable of disclosing correct values of float?

D1D2 photo D1D2_zpsavy7yxcr.png

Using negative lag implies that you know what will happen in the future, which is illogical. You cannot go back in time and start work before the last task has finished.

A better approach is to use SS + Volume Lag but P6 lacks this option.

• What is your solution as to avoid the issue warned by Andrei with SS + Time Lag when progress is not as initially planned?
  • Is it better or worse than using a relatively small negative lag? 
  • Certainly it is not as good as if using volume lag. 

To split the activity would be a bad idea under resource leveling because it might result in undesired non-contiguous work.

Managers must be pragmatic, there is no such thing as a perfect schedule otherwise everyone would prepare the same 100k activity schedule for same complex job.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Zoltan,

float values calculated by P6 are wrong in many cases, so what?

An approach does not become wrong just because some poor software has limited capacity.

SF links and negative lags shall be used when they represent real life constraints.

Project model is used for decision making and what if estimates and so it shall reflect the real life, isn't it?

Zoltan Palffy

ohh no now you are adding a negative lag sorry I dont beleive in these either. The will make the float values incorrect and it wil be difficult to follow a path  

Rafael Davila

Of those links mentioned in the article perhaps the most prone to cause problems is the Maximal Links.  When you have two activities linked by SS with minimal lag, SS with maximal lag, FF with minimal lag and FF with maximal lag if the duration of any two of the activity changes you might get an impossible set of conditions.

These links might be needed to model some scenarios.  In some industries these scenarios are not uncommon; these links shall not be banned.  In any case when suspicious what shall proceed is to require a justification on their use. 

We shall do what Ekrem is doing; ask for justification of their use and existence.

You can start by looking for knowledge at Micro-planning as well as other sites that might have different views.  My favorite is Planning Planet where I am confronted with different opinions, where we can debate the issues.  Where I am given for free the links to such valuable references.

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 4 days 13 hours ago. Offline

There is a fair bit of nonsense in some of these replies - as Rafael has stated the objective of a SF link is to manage system changeovers You cannot finish with temporary power until after you start the permanent power working (this is a switch over - S-F 0) or you can not decommission the swipe card access control until after the new biometric system is on-line and working (and in this case you may want a period of dual operation S-F 5).  However, for the SF link to work the duration of the successor (ie, the activity that is finishing) has to be elastic and determined by the S-F constraint fixed / contiguous durations cause issues. 

SF is one of the four standard links in a PDM network and the decision to use or not use is one that requires knowledgeable consideration; but it is far from the only link type that can cause issues...... for more on this see: http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/PDF/Links_Lags_Ladders.pdf

Rafael Davila

SF LINKS

Ekrem,

The following is another example of how SF link is used to control the changeover between two processes, this would be my second example.

• http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/PDF/Links_Lags_Ladders.pdf
  • Start-to-Finish links (SF) constrain the finish of a task based on the predecessor starting. The finish of the succeeding task is delayed until after the start of the preceding task.  If a lag is nominated (say three days), the finish of the succeeding task is delayed until three days after the start of the preceding task. 
  • This type of link is used to control the changeover between two processes, if a business is changing from a security system that uses key cards for access to one that uses bio-metrics, the use of the key card system cannot finish until after the start of the bio-metric system.  If both systems are required to run in parallel for a time, a lag is added to the SF link.

My third example would be when a business is changing accounting system, usually for a minimum of three months the new and the old accounting systems must be run in parallel. 

All my examples are for a changeover between two processes, the classical use of Start-to-Finish links (SF). 

To Zoltan and everyone else,

• If you do not believe on Start-to-Finish links so which is your approach to these sample scenarios?

FS LINKS AND NEGATIVE LAG

To all,

In the lack of volume lag the only solution to Andrei Sannikov sample scenario is not only to use FS links but also Negative Lag.  Yes FS LINKS + NEGATIVE LAG !

• If you want to mobilize your hydrotest pumps shortly before your piping is complete (say 5 days) to make sure you flood your system on time then you need to use FS and -5 days lag - everything else is illogical and would give you false results:  if you use SS with a huge lag your pumps might arrive either too early or too late depending on the actual duration of your piping activity; FF would not work either because I want pumps to be ready shortly before completion of piping.
  • If you do not believe on FS links or on Negative Lag which is your approach to his sample scenario?
  • My solution is to use SS + % of volume lag.  In this way the pumps will arrive just after a certain percentage of the piping installation, never early, never late.  If for whatever reason pumps arrive late then flooding of the system will be delayed as expected.
  • I believe in allowing the end user to select his software even if it lacks volume of work lag.  I would never ban P6 or MSP even when I consider them archaic and not good enough for my needs.  My claim on allowing the use of FS links is to allow those using software not capable of modeling volume lag to create some model that makes more sense than the other options they have on hand.

PDM VS ADM

• Some schedulers claim PDM with its new relationships has provided more flexible realistic project representation in schedule networks. 
  • Some schedulers claim PDM networks are easier to develop as there is no need for the infamous Dummy Activities.
  • Others argue ADM is superior because of the “Lag Drag” issues in contiguous models and claim non-contiguous models are superior.
  • Others argue contiguous models are superior because they give you control on activity performance.  In case of “Lag Drag” you just simply identify its occurrence and take control on how activity performance is going to be executed by splitting the activity.
  • Some schedulers argue CPM and ADM critical path are different representation of the same.
  • http://www.microplanning.com.au/about_xpert.php
  • Some schedulers argue CPM and ADM critical path are not the same.
  • Network Scheduling Techniques for Construction Project Management - By M. Hajdu

I say it is up to the end user which method to use.  If you like ADM then you should not be banned from using it.  Micro Planner X-pert is an excellent option for those who have a preference on ADM.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Zoltan Palffy

sorry Rafael I do not beleive in the SF relationship in cpm techniques. I just do not see it. It does not exist in a ADM CPM network it was artifically creaded for a PDM network.  

Rafael Davila

Paul H Harris warns about some issues with negative time lag such as; issues with calendars, issues with risk model and issues with percentage time lag, to name a few.  None of his workarounds can tackle the scheduling scenario presented by Andrei Sannikov.

Please be reminded that in more advanced software such as Spider Project lag calendar is independent of any activity, lag have its own calendar, fixed volume of work lag and percentage volume of work lag can also be modeled. 

Also Spider Project can model activity duration automatically adjusted by the software as a function of assigned resources and their production rates.

Lag can be represented by an activity as required by archaic risk software that cannot model probabilistic lag, so they suggest using an activity for this purpose.  But this is not possible for the case of negative lag. 

In some situations such as when volume of work changes then activity duration changes so in these situations the option to use % volume lag is in no way any dangerous.  Spider Project provides both options for volume lag as well as for time lag.

To avoid any such issues just use software capable of modeling dynamic activity duration, independent lag calendar, probabilistic lag, volume lag as a fixed volume of work as well as a percentage of the total volume of work allowing you to make better models.

Rafael Davila

Mike,

I have no doubt you can do more with Powerproject than most schedulers, not just because of you but also because of Powerproject, for this reason I encourage leaving to the end user which software to use.  There are many good things Powerproject brings to the table; it is more competition what we need.

The list of functions available in Powerproject but not available in many other software is big.  

The car as well as the driver do matter.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Rafael

Surely the same effect can be created with a FS link.

Your linkage would only work with a Powerproject buffer task.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila

Zoltan,

SF with positive lag is in no way going backwards in time, it moves from an earlier start to a latter finish.

Please clarify if you are referring to SF links, the central topic of this discussion or to negative lags.

On the other hand late dates being earlier than early dates is going backward in time, an aberration when software messes with late dates as to create negative float.  Not all software messes with late dates in order to create negative float, software such as Spider Project in order not to mess with late date fields make use of separate fields for this purpose, a no brainer.

Negative floats as well as negative lags are separate issues that might belong to a separate discussion. 

Best Regards,

Rafael

Zoltan Palffy

no because you cant go backwards in time 

Rafael Davila

Tom, what is with correct logic flow and a zero-free-float constraint? Shall be easy for you to disclose the logic.

After eliminating some start no earlier constraints for simplicity mine is the following.

photo SF00078_zpslojjvv9o.png

The need for SF relationship occurs when the start of a successor must happen before the predecessor finishes.  It is most common when a process changes hands and there must be a transition period.  In this example the transition period is 5 days, I used lag but can be modeled as an activity.

ALAP in my software is the equivalent to 0 FF constraint in P6, both different to MSP where I believe it means 0 TF constraint.

A common practice among a few MSP schedulers is to use FS + negative lag to create the overlap, perhaps because of how MSP ALAP works.  This approach yields unintended float values.  If you compare Activity 7 to Activity 10 you will see they will have different FF.  If not enough due to faulty logic if start of Activity 10 is delayed it will not have any impact on Activity 6, a true logic FS successor as Activity 6 cannot finish before the transition period. 

Best Regards,

Rafael

Tom Boyle

Here's the same answer I gave over at stackexchange.com:

One is tempted to do these to manipulate dates for just-in-time work:

1. Install pump -SF-> Deliver pump;
  2. Construct platform -SF-> Platform pre-construction meeting;
  3. Commission Eqpt -SF-> Energize equipment.

Although this gets the dates where you want them, the logic flow is reversed from reality. This messes up critical path and other logic analyses. Some people have pointed to the second example as an acceptable use case, though I would suggest it is just as bad as the rest. You can accomplish the same thing with correct logic flow and a zero-free-float constraint (if you have it available in your software) or intermediate/dummy milestone (if ZFF is not available, e.g. MSP.)

I do think Rafael's example is a good one, if problematic in practice.  

Rafael Davila

SF Relationship photo SF Relationship_zpsfqhaui3l.png

I have seen many specifications banning SF Relationships, perhaps issued by rookie schedulers as any type of relationship can be misused.  I would not be surprised if these rookies someday ban all types of relationships.

The following is one such specification.

USACE 2015 cpm specifications from Rafael Davila