Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning Assurance

1 reply [Last post]
Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Having emailed 150 copies of a Typical Project Planning Procedure to PP members at their request I thought that I might raise the subject of the quality of the planning work we are all busy producing. How do we assure/assess our work? A lot of recent reports say that despite the efforts of a lot of organisations to codifiy and professionalise the subject in the real world projects are consistently delivered late and over budget, company's are going bust and the courts are full of contract desputes. I recently had to tender for the postion as external planning reviewer for a very large project. In doing so I developed a series of check lists to demonstrate what I thought we be good planning practice.

1 Contents of the Basis of Schedule document

2 Quality of the data we use to produce and inform our plans

3 Validation and verification of our contract baseline and updates

If any of you would like to review these check lists and apply them on your project send me a message via PP and we can start a discussion.

Peter - Recently semi-retired so has had some time to thing rather than just do.

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Peter

In my role as delay analyst I get to review contractor's programmes on a regular basis and in my experience about 5% can be deemed fit for purpose in time management of construction projects.

In an earlier PP post I set up a discussion on the topic of "Ban These Planning Abominations" which is still worth reading.

Wishing you a succesful and productive retirement.

Best regards

Mike Testro