Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Construction sch. link to M/C sch.

5 replies [Last post]
kim jong beom
User offline. Last seen 8 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I'm a construction planner of offshore facilities such as fixed platform, FPSO, SPAR for oli&gas industries.

WE've divided FPSO into small structural block (200~400 EA) and prepare consruction schedule for each small structural block.

And then small blocks are assembled and become FPSO.

The current schdule is definitely area (structural block) basis but client want to change it into system (function) basis like oil, gas, water, diesel,electricity,etc (about 40 system)

because mechanical completion (MC) should be completed per system.

The problem is the each structural block contain various kinds of system (function) so it is to difficult make relationship between contruction schedule to MC schedule.

( link Area basis schedule to system(function) basis schedule)

I would like to have advices

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 15 min ago. Offline

For those interested on the modeling of spatial resources the following might be of interest.

http://essay.utwente.nl/56927/1/Scriptie_L_Kok.pdf

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi KimI would advise the following . The structural blocks can be connected with F-S relation, Split in two activities. One is  place in position, align and fix. The second is weld out and inspect. The next step is to set-up a  WBS for the pre-commissioning  for all the 40 systems and  similar for the mechanical completion.  At this point, the activities contained in the WBS structure or in the activity codes structure in  such as  area, part and discipline should  be linked to the 40 systems of the mechanical completion. Say you have a system instrument air. This will probably  be in all the areas and parts but shall not cover all the discipline. More likely in the piping, painting & insulation and the E&I discipline. Trust this helpsJohannes
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Kim

Further to the wise advice from Vladimir and Rafael I suggest a more practical approach.

You already have the system based tasks within your area based programme.

Linking system tasks within each area is the correct method to develop the critical path and I would not change that.

I assume that you are using P6 software which has limitations on displaying information.

I would suggest therefore that you set up 40 codes for each system and apply the code to each task within the location programme. (You may be able to make it easier by filtering on the contents of the task name.)

Also set up 40 completion miestones for each code.

Now filter on Code 1 and link the last task to Milestone 1.

When finished you can filter on any of the codes and show the current status.

I would not recommend linking the coded tasks between the areas because P6 cannot handle soft logic.

Hope that helps

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 15 min ago. Offline

Irrespective of how you organize the schedule, either by activity codes or WBS codes, you might need to look further.  It seems to me you need to consider spatial resources, something that cannot be adequately modeled using regular resource types. 

• Spatial resources are required by a group of activities, rather than a single activity as renewable resources. The spatial resource is occupied from the first moment an activity from the group starts until the finish of all activities from that group. Examples are dry docks in a ship yard or a freezing machine in the Westerscheldetunnel (see “Case study: Work continuity constraints in the Westerscheldetunnel”).

Depending on your software, if incapable of modeling spatial resources then you will have to use some artificial/preferential logic but this will not be good for resource constraining, you might get feasible but in frequent occasions poor schedule.  It is not just about feasibility but about good feasible schedules.

http://www.pmknowledgecenter.com/node/104

In Spider Project you would create additional WBS.

In P6 you may create activity codes and then group activities by codes.