Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing Other Contractors schedules

4 replies [Last post]
Nick Browett
User offline. Last seen 9 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

So I've been extremely frustrated as of late with importing schedules for numerous reasons.

1) we have the contractors resource the non-labor units to match their contractual $$ so we can do earned value off their physical % complete. With the non-labor units we create non-labor resource at a $1.00/hr rate

2) we have them load the manhours into the labor units and assign a labor resource, and they can progress their actual manhours burned

3) when i import their schedules i'm having numerous issues quite regularly and i'm not sure whats going on

a) their schedule progresses fine when they provide the PDF copy along with their XER to be imported/updated, but when I import/update I have some of their activities progressing in the future, where their exact Activity ID that matches on the PDF doesn't progress pass the DD

b) their schedule will roll up the performance % complete columns so it shows the nodes overall progress, but on my imported/updated schedule, it still shows 0% but the % complete by activity all matches to their PDF, just won't roll up, and this only happens on 1 of the 3 contractors all utilizing the same set up that we worked with them to create.

c) i have loops that get created when I import their schedule, on their schedule, but they are not getting these loops on their end

When I import their schedules, I'm just using the default configurations set by P6... This is really bothering me and I cannot seem to ever solve the issue. Any suggestions?

Replies

Nick Browett
User offline. Last seen 9 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks guys for the replies, I'll work to this and see what I am able to come up with.

I do agree and am learning that I'll be setting up templated XERs with all the settings we want established at the start of the project and work with the contractors to ensure they understand the settings that we set, and that they cannot be adjusted, and then flow this into the import/update settings as well to ensure that when we do our import/updates we have a standard setting that works with the overall project settings we created at the start. If we do that I think it should eliminate alot of our issues. For now, trouble shooting out past selections to get the proper results is where I'm at, which really is a pain in the rear at the moment :)

Thanks again for the input

Waseem Saber
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline

Nick Hi,

suggest you make them work into your database and this way you will avoid the issues you mentioned and i agree with Dieter, please do the checks for the settings and also before you import test in a test database. I had simillar issues on my project, and then had to make the subcontractor work into a common database and use a template from my projects. this resolved many issues.

hope this helps..

Waseem

Waseem Saber
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline

Nick Hi,

suggest you make them work into your database and this way you will avoid the issues you mentioned and i agree with Dieter, please do the checks for the settings and also before you import test in a test database. I had simillar issues on my project, and then had to make the subcontractor work into a common database and use a template from my projects. this resolved many issues.

hope this helps..

Waseem

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 1 week ago. Offline

Hi Nick

Welcome to PP.

To import data from others is a little dangerous - as in real life: marry if you fit together.

Before answering to your questions some considerations:

- The parameter settings must fit:

+ Hours per day, days per month/year

+ Currency, c'-rates

+ Calendars

- Only use project related activity codes

- Agree on the options used for the calculation of schedule

- Compare the settings in your and your contractors' project: resources, settings, calculation. If you'll press F9, your settings will be used, not those from the contractor.

- Consider what you want the others let modify of your schedule --> The import options. The default values are a good start but do you accept changes of codes or resource master data, ...? With the import options you can grant or refuse or taylor rights to modify your data.

Be careful! Check the import first in a test database then - if it's ok - with the original project. Check the log-file!

To your items:

a) Seems to be difference in hours per day ...; maybe a calendar with the same name but different content.

b) Seems that this contractor uses a different field (UDF?). This you can check in the XER- file

c) I've never seen. Is there an error message in the log-file? XER works with the internal activity key which is unique within the database. You can easily open a copy of this file with an editor and have a look for the activity which causes the trouble. XER is a text file and you can search with ctrl+<F> and the activity id.

Good luck and report your results.

Dieter