Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning Engineers – Skill Levels and Roles

15 replies [Last post]
Nicos Pozatos
User offline. Last seen 1 year 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have prepared a proposal for the Skill Levels and Roles for Planning Engineers and I would appreciate your comments.

1. Scheduler

He is a computer literate Engineer with very good skills in MS-Excel and MS-Word, average to good software skills. He can update the Programme of works and he can prepare the Weekly/Monthly progress reports. Minimum 2 Years Previous Experience on site (Site Engineer/Quantity Surveyor e.t.c.)

2. Planning Engineer

In addition to the skills and responsibilities of the Scheduler he is able to revise the Programme of Works in accordance with issued variations orders or to recover delays.

He can liaise with the Site Engineers and prepare/update detailed monthly programmes.

He should have a minimum of 2 years experience as Scheduler before he is given the status of Planning Engineer.

3. Senior Planning Engineer

He is a computer literate Planning Engineer with excellent skills in MS-Excel, MS-Word. He has Very good skills in AutoCAD. He has an in-depth knowledge ofproject planning tool used by the company  ; he can attend and resolve standard technical issues of project planning tool used by the company   (Installation/Configuration). He has the necessary skills and experience and with the Support of the Project Team he can develop the Contract Programme of Works (“Clause 14”). Good Understandingof Critical Path and Delay Analysis Techniques. He can perform time impact analysis and assist the quantity surveyor in the preparation of claims for extension of time.  Minimum 3 years experience as Planning Engineer.

4. Planning Manager

In addition to the skills and experience of the Planning Engineer he should be able to prepare the Contract Programme of Works with minimum support from the Project Team. One is required for each Country that has more than 3 Projects in Progress. He has excellent technical skills inproject planning tool used by the company    and sound construction experience. He can manage and provide support to the Planning Engineers of the Country.   He has contract law qualifications/experience, he can perform time impact analysis and he can prepare and submit a claim with minimum support by others.  Minimum 3 years experience as Senior Planning Engineer

5. Senior Planning Manager

He has the skills and experience of the Planning Manager and he is responsible for defining the Company Procedures in terms of Project Planning. He is based at the head office of the Company and he is visiting the projects on a regular basis.  He defines the requirements of the Projects in terms of Project Planning and is responsible for the Recruitment/ Assessment/ Promotion of the Planning Engineers.  He maintains the registry of the Primavera Licenses and he is allocating them/purchasing new as required. He is evaluating new Primavera Versions and is making the decision when the company should move to the next version.  Minimum 3 Years Experience as Planning Manager.

Replies

samey uddin
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

can anyone please mention the salary also in the gulf (UAE) according to the various positions  mentioned above !!!!!

Nicos Pozatos

Hello Andy,

Thank you for your comprehensive and constructive comments. My intension is to re-draft the document and take into consideration all the comments that will be posted at this forum.

Regards,

Nicos Pozatos.

Andy McShane
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

Nicos,

I believe your skill levels and Roles are a little to technically oriented and would contend a more wholly-rounded set of descriptions with focus on desired outputs/outcomes such as

1. Planning Manager

Responsible for mandating, promoting, governing and maintaining the planning policies and procedures, which align to corporate requirements of the business.  The Planning Manager should be able to display adequate experience (at least) in the management of large projects* or planning teams*.

* Scale relevent to the business

2. Senior Planner / Lead Planner

Reports to the Planning Manager with similar accountibilities to the Planning Manager but at a project level.  The Senior/Lead Planner should have sufficient experience to develop the project programme and then critically evaluate it on a regular basis by way of interogation and reporting.  Sufficient experience may be in the form of demostrated evidence of project based planning work, leadership, team interaction etc.

3. Project Planner

Reporting to the Senior/Lead Planner, the Project Planner should be competant in developing and monitoring programmes for their section of work (not necessarily the entire project).  Project Planners should be able to draw on past project experience to develop & critique logic, monitor progress and report on effort (Earned Value, resourcing etc). Project Planners should be expected to develop an understanding of the business practices (commercial, legal etc)

4. Junior Planner

Step 1 in a planning career, this is where the basics are learnt.

Develop understanding of projects, planning processes, team interaction.

No references to software...

No references to time frames, experience and success should be the key drivers. Lets face it, not all planners are equal!

No reference to integrated/team planning, liasing with engineers/foreman. This should be implemented at all levels.

Also note that positions below the Planning Manager should be flexible to account for varying magnitudes of projects (in complexity and scale)

Nicos Pozatos

Hello Partick,

I agree 100% with what is mentioned in the link you have provided. Certainly communication of the Programme to the Stakeholders is the corner stone for the successful implementation of the programme. I actually go one step further and I say that the Managers and Engineers that are going to implement the Programme should prepare it with the support and guidance by the Planning Engineer.

I know that my proposal is not perfect so if you want to enhance it or you have a better one for the levels and skills of the Planning Engineers you are most welcome to share it with us.

Regards,

Nicos Pozatos

Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

Hello

Scheduling is a requisite for all endeavours,  be it using softwares or simple mind calculations; unless the project director is either lucky or ready to take risks.

Nicos has made a good sorting of skill levels, perhaps will be used  by the Guild for their classifications or may be that stage has already been passed with Phase 2 launch.

Regards

Shareef Abdul Azeez

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 6 days 18 hours ago. Offline

The proposed descriptions simply describe technicians that are unlikely to have any beneficial effect on project outcomes.

There is absolutely no point in scheduling unless the information generated is actually used to inform decisions and generate a better project outcome. See: http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/Resources_Papers_090.html

Nicos Pozatos

Dear Rowstone,

Thank you for your comment. Certifications like the "PMI-PMP" or the "AACE-PSP" are certainly a plus for a Senior Planning Engineer but not a must and I will agree with Mike Testro that Construction Experience and Planning Experinece "On-Site" is what really matters.

Regards,

Nicos Pozatos.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Rowstone

It doesn't matter how good you are on the software it is your experience in construction that matters.

If you can't build it then you can't plan it.

Best regards

Mike Testro

rowstone fausto
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Good day Everyone,

A planning engineer which is having an advance training of project management like ''PMI-PMP'', would be qualified for a high level of position in planning category like a senior planner or manager?

Please have your comments.

Thnks.

serkan nari
User offline. Last seen 11 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS

I would like to recommend you Asta Powerproject in this case.

In my opinion, Asta Powerproject is perfect software for construction and engineering industries.

It is for high performance project management, scheduling and resource control.

It helps us for presentation the project and it helps to win project tenders and communicate effectively.

The schedules can be accessed and edit data online and view progress, resource and cost reports with ease.

What I like more that unlimited baselines ‘what if scenarios’ for a number of different solutions to a given requirement.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 59 min ago. Offline

Nicos,

Although I do not like P6 I believe you should be free to select your tool and if it happens to be P6 it shall be ok. I welcome Mike's suggestion because even if you are to continue using P6 it might happen that you might loose the opportunity to hire someone with experience on other software, that can learn P6 and might be your best option. Do not close the door to some good candidates.

Best regards,

Rafael

Nicos Pozatos

Hello Mike,

I accept your comment. Insted of "Primavera" I should use the term "project planning tool used by the company". I know that there are other equally good or even better applications in the market.

Regards,

Nicos.

Nicos Pozatos

Afternoon Nicos,

I Don't think these a minimum time between any position surely it should come down to experiances and exposure the purpose has had, there are alot of good parts but these a few areas which I don't think people will ever get them skills or experiances, for example a QS may never learn AutoCAD, an Engineer may never learn contract law and/or gain qualifications in it.

some of it seems reasonable others not so... but overall its heading in the right direction isn't the Guild publishing a guidance list for this shortly?

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for your comments.

I believe that this classification of Planning Engineers is usefull and it will become more interesting once is linked to salary scales.

Most probably there is some kind of Classification by AACE or PMI or the Guild. If anybody has such information is kindly requested to send my a copy.

Ryan Lytollis
User offline. Last seen 10 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

Afternoon Nicos,

I Don't think these a minimum time between any position surely it should come down to experiances and exposure the purpose has had, there are alot of good parts but these a few areas which I don't think people will ever get them skills or experiances, for example a QS may never learn AutoCAD, an Engineer may never learn contract law and/or gain qualifications in it.

some of it seems reasonable others not so... but overall its heading in the right direction isn't the Guild publishing a guidance list for this shortly?

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Nicos

Why just Primavera Skills.

There are better programming software products available.

Best regards

Mike Testro