Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Role of the Planner

5 replies [Last post]
moutaz aldeib
User offline. Last seen 2 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Planners,

What is the role of the planner in a consultant company? "not contractor", what can he present for his company?

Replies

Hashim Muhammud
User offline. Last seen 11 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
hi,

This is a valid question for people working for the contractors and want to change in to the feild of consultancy. Anyway, i think most of the situations are already discussed. But, i think another aspect is that, if the consultancy is big enough to contain 100s of employees, then it is a potential resource. You might need to monitor the activities related to each project in which these employess are working and especially the design works prior to the project awarding. Because, this is the only way to provide details to the contractor on time, which in turn will help the consultant to prevent any claim from the contractor.

hashim ;-)
Tom Farmer
User offline. Last seen 17 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Clive asks the right first question. For whom is the planner consulting - the owner, the Design and/or Construction Manager, etc. For a General Contractor, the planner proves most valuable when they produce a realistic schedule which drives activity execution and minimizes project duration. Corrective action planning is also needed to recover from any slippage. Schedule impact analysis is also required to support impacts brought about by client delays or change requests. A true planner on a major undertaking can make or break the GC, hence, I suspect most GC’s employ planners on their project team as direct hires rather than on a consultancy basis.
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
What sort of consultancy
Are we talking about the clients site team
If so his role should be to interogate the programme to ensure it is buildable, achievable and follows the project protocol
after that his role is very dependent on the authority given to him under the contract
I would like to think that he could be of assistance to the contractor ie a second opinion however, often he becomes or feels he has the only opinion
Clive
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
IMO the most important thing is under what kind of contract you are working?

A planner from a consultant company can also work for contractor/client/EPCM/GC
Dana Qandah
User offline. Last seen 14 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
The planner from the consultant must have a master program if there are more than one contractor, (or the same contractor’s program if only one contractor) and shall gather all data from contractor(s) and examine the project as a whole, the planner should detect the delay and notify the contractor "if the delay is on the critical path" and request a recovery plan, or may request an accelettion plan from other contactor who did not cause the dealy.

what i want to say , he shall diminish any delay not just recording it to the CLIENT!!