Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Schedule Basis

6 replies [Last post]
Romil Villanueva
User offline. Last seen 4 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

I am a newly appointed planner for a green field project due for Singapore, I would like to ask some advice on how to set a BASIS of Schedule. The current program I am adjusting was done in Japan, and I am having a hard time asking the person

due to language barrier.

I would like to ask the more experienced planners on this group to help me define or look for the basis of schedule.

Is it enough that I use the milestones from the client? it was just a completion date of the project. so i am having a hard time...thanks in advance

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Romil

As the planner on the project you have to have "ownership" of the programme. Therefore you should make a thourough study of the current programme so that you understand the logic and the sequences.

If you cannot understand it  then you must start from the very beginning and draw up a programme that you have confidence in and can support and explain.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Romil Villanueva

Hello Li,

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it.

I will consider those suggestions. I am thinking to explain on how i arrived on the current WBS eventhough it was made by a different person....thnks Li...

shu li
User offline. Last seen 12 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Looks like we are in the same industry.

I think there are two scenarios here:

1. For Contractual mile stones - what you did or should be doing was simply to demonstrate in the schedule how to get there since the dates are already contractually fixed, by establishing logical links (relationships) between the milestones, and that is your basis for the schedule. Of course the durations you proposed or planned should make sense to experienced reviewers.

2. For milestones your PM created as a proposal for payment purpose (normally) - you will have to have a discussion with your PM on his intention how to run the project. Then you'll have to try to justify according to those intended milestones which often carry commercial implications. Eg, Equipment on foundation linked back to its delivery which linked back to PO placement date. Then you can tell the client the basis for such milestone is that you intend to place PO on a certain date and its lead time is that much and that's how you come out with the milestone date for that equipment on foundation date.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

Li

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Romil Villanueva

To build the schedule ( Base development for schedule ) you need to relay on the following documents

1. Main/general/Prime contractor program ( if you are subcontractor )
  2. Contract documents
  3. Issued construction drawings and specifications

Cheers

Shahul

Romil Villanueva

hello shahul, actually before i came to my post, the current PM already sent a draft of the schedule for an EPC schedule of a petrochemical facility, so i had no choice but to use the current program and develop it to a more comprehensive schedule. but I was informed that they require me to explain the basis of the schedule that I did not initiated. that is where my problem is.....I feel I just cant say I am following the Milestones of the previous program that the PM submitted while I was not in my post yet.

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Romil Villanueva

Can you explain what your client looking for and what program you are supposed to submit

Cheer's 

Shahul