Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Microplanner - reverse logic event (or activity)

4 replies [Last post]
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 19 hours 38 min ago. Offline

What is a reverse logic event (or activity) as per Microplanner? Please clarify if an event or an activity or both.

Look on the following link as a reference: http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/WhitePapers/WP1035_RD-CPM.pdf

I am not sure about the need of RDCPM because Spider Project have many of the features the paper says can only be implemented with RDCPM, perhaps convenient but not necessary.

I am curious about some other activity types available in Micro-Planner in addition to the Ladder Type I remember from the times when I was a user of Microplanner for the Mac.

Maybe Microplanner also implements the Topic Activity available in SureTrak and MSP. A special kind of summary activity that can be created in SureTrak by converting an outline summary bar into an activity while in MSP outline bars need not to be converted. This special kind of activity can be assigned links as to drive or be driven by other activities.

If some one of you can give me a reference detailing all activity types/events/links available in Microplanner that I can keep and use for further reference will be appreciated.

Replies

Rafael Davila

John,

RE: Ladder Activities

I used them before with Micro Planner and loved them, and correct me if I am wrong. I loved them because some of my ladders required for the "Rungs" to adjust size as other "Rungs" speed up or slowed down as to maintain a continuous rate of feed, different from the traditional CPM ladder. With Micro Planner I had both options, the traditional using SS and FF links while for the continuous feed I would use the Ladder Activity. I believe the Ladder Activity had some limit as to the amount of Rungs.

It is a pity the infatuation with certain software is not promoting the adoption of such functionalities, we are missing the point that competition is good for everyone.

Best regards,

Rafael

Rafael Davila

John,

Re: "Reverse Logic" node

Thanks for the response, it is clear how it works. I am assuming it works for both activity on node and activity on arrow methods.

Nice functionality, a need not as uncommon as some believe. Wonder if you can control for it to be ANY TWO/ ANY THREE ... although seems to me like as I understood it control for it to be ANY TWO/ ANY THREE ... can be done but with a few additional steps.

Best regards,

Rafael

John Cornish
User offline. Last seen 10 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Rafael,

In Micro Planner X-Pert we use Ladders as described in British Standards 6079.

The "Lead" activity is part of the ladder structure and is used to set the time lapse between the start of the first ladder activity and the start of the next.

The "Lag" activity is part of the ladder structure and is used to set the time lapse between the completion of the first ladder activity and the completion of the next.

The "Ladder" activity is part of the ladder structure and is used when activiites are required to "over lap". It is used with the "Llead" and "Lag" activities that set the delays between the various overlapping steps in the ladder.

Hope this helps.

If not then please do call or send an email

Cheers

John

John Cornish
User offline. Last seen 10 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Rafael,

Thank you for your question.

Micro Planner X-Pert offers a "Reverse Logic" node to show that ANY ONE of the preceding tasks linked to the node must be completed to enable the following task(s) to start, as opposed to requiring ALL the preceding events to be completed.

I hope that helps.

Please send me an email or call me if you need more.

Thanks

John Cornish

Customer Support for Micro Planner X-Pert (UK/Europe)

Tel +44 (0) 1725 553 199