Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

ACTIVITIES LOGIC

4 replies [Last post]
ulysses garcia
User offline. Last seen 13 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Dear planners,

Is there any best approach in linking activities to a 3,000 task or more in the new project scheduled in order to avoid pitfalls due to illogical sequences .
Regard, uly

Replies

Hazem Rady
User offline. Last seen 12 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I guess the best way is :
1. divide the project into phases or sub-projects or groups or according to responsibilties or location or whatever criteria you can divide your project to.
3. each phase or group has it’s own inter-relations between its activities.
2. try to make milestones or hammocks at the end of each phase that connects each phase with other phases where possible
3. put them together and you got the 3000 act. together
Gilbert Rayco
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

In addition to Ronald & Clive, In my practice a well organize activity coding will certainly helps in logic connection and review. Meaning it should not be too long or too short but simple and easily identified.
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I agree Ronald
However Uly
Have you allready gor 3000 activities?
If you want to check the logic
Put some progress on the programme and see what happens when you reschedule
Also check activities with no successor there should be none
Check where your critical path is and the sub critical ie less than 5 days float less than 10 days float
Then check your constraints again they should be limited
Its a start to what
I call good housekeeping at the end of the planning function and should remove the bugs before its too late.
Unfortunately most of us dont have the time to do it properly
Ronald Romero
User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Uly,

Make a subproject template that your sure of the logic then copy this for the rest of the remaining activities or subproject in your schedule. Also use fragnet with the correct sequences. Im sure those more than 3000 schedule has some redundant activities..

Regards,

Ronnie