Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

A few questions about starting a career in planning/scheduling

2 replies [Last post]
Alex Harper
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hey all,

I've been lurking here for around 3 years and I recently finished school with a Bachelor's of Business Administration in Finance (I know it most likely won't be useful if I want to plan). I have a small amount of experience in construction/laboring, but nothing on a grand scale. (Mostly laying concrete in parking lots, putting up walls, etc.)

Where would be a good place to start if I wanted to look into planning? I currently live in Kansas City, MO.

I have used Primavera P6 before and I've taken a basics class on it around 3 years ago, what are some other softwares I should become familiar with? Is there a part of scheduling/planning that is strictly finance based, instead of processes?

Do you guys know any websites that have resources to jumpstart my learning in P6 and other planning softwares? I own a copy of P6 and can get Microsoft Project.

If there is anything else you all would like to add, I welcome any criticism or advice!

Replies

Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine

Hi Alex,

Firstly, i would say that most planners dont have civils degrees/masters, as there are planners in almost all industries, banking, IT, heavy engineering, heavy civils, production environments, defence, water etc.

Planners in the financial industry get involved in the roll-out of new initiatives, IT systems and all manner of projects so your degree can be utilised.

What i would say you need to learn is project management and in particular the scheduling aspects of it. I recommend some PRINCE2 training if you plan to try and get into IT/financial sectors (where contract rates can be higher than those paid in others) or  some PMI/APM training if you plan on trying to get into other industries.

The best thing to do is look at the job specs advertised for the industries you would like to go into and then fit your skills to them!

HTH

Saju TS
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

Dear

Alex,

In case of Construction -Most of the Planning/ scheduling Engineers have  5/4 years bachelor degree in  Civil Engineering , most of them have Masters in construction management/ or MBA. or PMB .

Software Experience in Primavera 3/6 will not make you a good planner/scheduler. For a good planning you need in depth knowledge of construction, especially reading contractual documents, preparation of cash flows, Analyze shop drawings , linking activities and sequence etc. Some time you have to do  auto cadd drawings and costing

As an MBA Holder i can tell you the  finance in Construction   have lot of difference with the finance you studied in BBA,especially when you going to handle  cash flow etc

Most of the Planners start their career from site as site Engineers or site supervisor , there is no problem for a fresh graduate to start planning Engineer job, but its very difficult to handle projects in independent way.

In USA, some companies , just looking graduates/high school graduates only , But Companies ,especially rated companies  asking graduates in  Civil Engineering/ Architectural Engineering. 

If you looking  a career in construction, i suggest you to join as a site supervisor or site engineer and practice quantity survey and costing etc from there you can develop your skills .

Most of the US opportunities in California, Texas and, New-York

In USA , what i observed is everybody want to become BOSS immediately and nobody want to learn basics. Scheduling is an very important job and need very serious approach while you taking this responsibility in your shoulder

Best of luck