Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Rolling Wave Planning

4 replies [Last post]
Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 5 days 10 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

We are on a mission to discover the origins of Rolling Wave planning – where did the idea come from?  Who used it first??  Is it an EV concept borrowed by schedulers or the other way round???    Any ideas or authenticated sources would be appreciated.

Replies

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 2 hours ago. Offline

Hi

I came across the following links, check out

http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/pdf/rolling-wave-planning.pdf

http://www.catalystpm.com/NP02.pdf

Regards

Shahul

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

M. KHAN,

Thanks for the explanation - "WBS being vertical and Schedule as horizontal"; and Rolling Wave is horizontal;

But isn't it that a rolling wave goes up and down? What if a Rolling Wave goes up (higher than normal), can we call it a Schedule Tsunami?

cheers

Muhammad Zeeshan ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

Patrick Weaver

Rolling wave planning and Progressive elaboration are both the charaterstices of project.They are two very important concept to understand by every Project Manager and Project Planner.Sometimes called as a PMISM for Project Management Institute PMI.

I am talking her big construction projects and when they starts most of the items defines in broad terms . when we starting developing those projects we get more refine information and more definate terms.

Like first high level project statment and than into detail project statment in terms of detail WBS.

AS you know WBS structure as being vertical and the schedule as being horizontal, then progressive elaboration would be a vertical process, while rolling wave  would be horizontal process..

In nutshell Progressive Elaboration suggests "gradual" refinement of SCOPE. Rolling Wave Planning suggests "gradual" refinement of SCHEDULE. 

I hope this wil answere the question.I will suggest if you want to know more try PMBOK 4th Edition of PMI or Rita PMP.Both are the best books on Project Management with tons of best practices.

M Khan PMP 07917827290

Muhammad Zeeshan ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

Patrick Weaver

Rolling wave planning and Progressive elaboration are both the charaterstices of project.They are two very important concept to understand by every Project Manager and Project Planner.Sometimes called as a PMISM for Project Management Institute PMI.

I am talking her big construction projects and when they starts most of the items defines in broad terms . when we starting developing those projects we get more refine information and more definate terms.

Like first high level project statment and than into detail project statment in terms of detail WBS.

AS you know WBS structure as being vertical and the schedule as being horizontal, then progressive elaboration would be a vertical process, while rolling wave  would be horizontal process..

In nutshell Progressive Elaboration suggests "gradual" refinement of SCOPE. Rolling Wave Planning suggests "gradual" refinement of SCHEDULE. 

I hope this wil answere the question.I will suggest if you want to know more try PMBOK 4th Edition of PMI or Rita PMP.Both are the best books on Project Management with tons of best practices.

M Khan PMP 07917827290