Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

estimating norms book

4 replies [Last post]
dale holmes
User offline. Last seen 13 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

can anyone recommend a good book for estimating.

i would like the book to cover plating and welding, i am involved with a large duct erect job.

there seems to be a few available but i you cant see the content on the Internet :-)

i would like a set of norms that will tell me that welding a 6" NB pipe  40 sched will be .....................

cutting 1 meter of 6 mm plate will be .....................

this would help prove my workings when the QS come calling, any one know a good book?

Replies

Karim Hassanzadeh
User offline. Last seen 12 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

I think u must talkto ur project manage and expert to find their experiences about actual time in that condition and chalenge and risk u will have in the project ....

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Simon

Thank you for your formula.

I am involved in a number of pipelines across India and when they deploy automatic welding they can cover 500m a day on 30inch pipe.

Its a bit slower when you are going over a mountain range.

It is not so much the heat here as the Monsoon season.

Thanks for the info.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Simon Willson
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Dale,

Pipe welding is not that straight forward.  You have a number of welding passes to take into consideration, then NDT and finally hydrotesting.  I worked on a pipeline construction project in Iraq and used the following formulae to work out duration for the welding.

The average welder can complete about 140 inches of weld per hour in ordinary 1/4 inch wall line pipe.  Therefore, to find the output duration per day you would need to:

Number of welds per hour is equal to

((140/((diameter of pipe - in inches)*3.14))).

This gives you an hourly rate of pipeline joints per hour.  Times this by the number of hours in the shift to give the daily rate.

You can work out how many sections in the run by dividing the run by pipeline length (typically 12m).  Then divide this answer by the answer to the welds per hour.  This will give you the outline duration for the welding.  The welding runs normally follow each other so add half a day lag for each pass (1 day extra).  Increase the overall duration by the estimated time to string the pipeline. 

NDT can happen while the welding is ongoing (obviously on different sections of the pipeline).  Add a day overlap from the welding finish to complete NDT. 

Depending upon the length, include a day to fill the pipeline for Hydrostatic Testing, a day to test and a day to drain.

Then you will need to add in a day for hook up. 

The welding duration will decrease if you have more than 1 team completing the task.

We included an in country overhead factor which reduced productivity by 40% to allow for the heat (it was anything upto 60 degrees in the desert in summer), Ramadan (they did a lot of work before the sun came up) and the ongoing security situation. 

Overall, this rule of thumb worked very well.  Obviously, you will be rounding up rather than rounding down. 

Hope this helps.

It is quite simple to stick all of these metrics into a spreadsheet.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Satish Kumar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 10 weeks ago. Offline