Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Crane Time Analysis

12 replies [Last post]
KS Wong
User offline. Last seen 12 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Planners,
The following crane time study for typical lifting operations is for sharing. Pls comment if any other suggestions or additional information.
(Assumptions: High rise building with 90m height, tower crane model is Liebherr 200)
1. Precast element installation 8 mins/unit
2. System wallform installation 8 mins/unit
3. Remove wallform 5 mins/unit
4. Wall concreting 5 mins/cum
5. Slab & beam concreting 4 mins/cum

Regards,
KS

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Chris.

The only software you need is a spreadsheet.

See my earlier response and you will get the formula.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Chris Crowley
User offline. Last seen 8 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

Is there any software to simplify this hook time process. I urgently need justify the use of 3 cranes on a 3 year project. 

Chris Crowley
User offline. Last seen 8 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

Hi I cannot seem to find any software that helps with hook time analysis, Is there any software?? 

Milind Pandhare
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Guys new Towercrane hook analyis for sharing

Mike Testro

Hi Danang

See my previous thread which gives you the formula.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Danang Projosujadi
User offline. Last seen 10 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Hi there,

Is there any standard formula or rule of thumb for calculating the crane hook time analysis? Also what factor need to be included on crane time for the crane cannot be used due to the weather? Please advise.

Regards,

Dan

Mike Testro
Hi KS

As in all transport plant productivity you need to calculate 3 things:

1. Load time
2. Travel time x 2
3. Discharge time

With these numbers you can calculate the number of journeys in a work day shift - allow 80% efficiency/downtime.

In a tower crane this is sometimes called hook time.

You can then calculate the number of lifts that is needed in a work day shift and if that exceeds the hook time then your crane will be the productivity limit.

Time to consider an extra crane.

Best regards

Mike Testro
KS Wong
User offline. Last seen 12 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Anoon,
I have not carried out any studies on other model tower crane, thus I can’t say LB200 is a F1 or Fx. I would be interested if you have any researches on this issue.

It is obviously that the crane time analysis is to study the crane not the concrete pump. You have mentioned the bucket for concreting. Yes, bigger size bucket could improve the time figure. For this analysis, it was a 2cum bucket.

The time to fix P/C elements in position has been taken into consideration in this analysis.

Regards,
KS

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Gary,

From my experience this is supplier dependent. If you can get the model of the Crane, you can download the charts of the crane from the supplier website. This is standards.

Then you can figure out the loads and the distances. This is the minimum that you can do at major sites for HSE approvals.

If you have a special lift, please let me know, I might be able to assist.

With kind regards,

Samer
Lo Gary
User offline. Last seen 1 year 32 weeks ago. Offline
Dear,

Is there any software for crane analysis?

Gary
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear KS,

90 Meters high building + unidentified Liebherr crane type, identified lift height not known your production rates are too high.

It would be advisable if you discuss this with your construction crews and using the www.Liebherr.com data sheets.

With kind regards,

Samer
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
KS,

maybe you got an F1 crane, for concrete placement, you’ll need a bucket (crane and bucket), I supposed your rate is for concrete pump?

for precast element, your crane will hold the element until fixed (dependent on the sizes and fixes/anchors)