Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Conformance Scoring of a Good Schedule

13 replies [Last post]
Ciamak Mir-Eschghi
User offline. Last seen 3 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi
Does anybody have more information on Conformance Scoring? The PMI list is a good start, but I think we all agree that there is more to a "good schedule" than to mark the items on the list.

How about starting to add items on a list, maybe some measurable issues that could influence a good schedule.

Examples:
a.) Depending on industry or phase of a project, the max. duration of an activity (task or recourse dependent) should be 2.5 x the reporting period.

b.) The relation from milestones to activities should be min 1:xx. I have seen schedules where on every second activity a milestone is attached.

c.) Obvious: Number of activities without PRED/SUCC. Should be 1 for each, Project Start and Finish. But if not, is there a documented reason, some other method to monitor the activities without PRED/SUCC?

d.) Ratio activities to activity realtionships.

Any other ideas?

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rafael,

I like your example of steel for several reasons. But steel has an inherent facts that it has been around for a longer time, more people use it, and so many research is being done on it all over the world since world war I. So Scheduling is not the same as any other subject.

I would not undermine the PMI standard because it is the collective works of so many people from so many industries. They worked for a few years to the best of their knowledge and came up with the Standard which must be in line with the other published standards by PMI.

To answer your question, I would recommend that you use the two pages summary as a checklist to comply with the PMI standard of Scheduling. Give it a rating and that is the total value of it.

I would also recommend that you add value to your clients (which I am sure that you already do) by giving them your input depending on your years of experience working on Construction Projects.

Maybe the scoring is not too tough, but I am sure that it will get improved in the future with the great input from users all over the world.

With kind regards,

Samer
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 18 hours 15 sec ago. Offline
Samer,

A Standard set minimum requirements, Specifications set requirements above minimum. In a Standard the word “optional” makes no sense, is a set of minimum requirements, everything else not in conflict is optional.

It is an error to define a unique Standard for scheduling; different standards are needed as a guide or starting point for specifications. There is no such thing as one size fits all. Take for example the ASTM where there are many standards for materials such as steel, you apply or require the appropriate standard in accordance to the need.

This standard may be good for a weekend job at your backyard but not for serious construction jobs. Can you tell me on where the standard is proposed to be applied?

Best regards,
Rafael
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Vladimir,

Congradulations on winning you argument. I heard stories that they can spend a year on discussing changing of a few words. I guess that they have their limitation.

It is always better to send then the recommendations, because they count what they receive and at least study it. So ultimately, things will improve. This is an optimistic view.

With kind regards,

Samer
Samer,
the standards are developed by large groups of people and decisions are accepted by majorities. They include only those things that are already used in most projects most of the times.
So when I suggested to include some items that I think are quite necessary they were rejected by this reason - most planners do not use them. And most means most USA planners.
I won a battle that resource assignments shall be required, not just recommended as optional. There were many arguments and discussions, it was voting in the standard development team and my point of view won by several votes. It did not matter - you noticed that this requirement somehow was transformed into option.
So don’t expect that PMI standards will suggest best practices - they describe common practices.
I do not see the progress of common practices these years and new versions of the popular PM software are not better than earlier versions if to consider scheduling part.
Best Regards,
Vladimir

Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Rafael,

Nice story :) and a pit dramatic. I paid the $20 subscription last year and hoped that there is life in the chapter. But was told in June 2009 that it just started and will need sometime before it picked up.

They have several web seminars, but I did not see them yet because of time constraints.

They do tend to revise the standards every few years. The Scheduling standard was issued in 2007, so maybe in few years it will have some updates.

With kind regards,

Samer
Rafael Davila
Zamer,

For Spider Project to aim so low? The Conformance Scoring is kind of a joke.

http://www.pmicos.org/fse.asp

I agree with Plotonic following statement:

“Wickwire and Plotnick are especially concerned about the options in the software to override or retain logic or impose or remove restraints. One of the problems they see in PDM is automatically making an activity or string of activities critical that may not belong on the critical path, a practice that they claim is anathema to well-trained CPM users.”

But I cannot agree with his contradictory statement:

“As for the software, all that’s needed in some instances are asterisks to draw attention to places where the logic has been overridden, says Plotnick.”

I do not believe PDM and CPM got to be in disagreement, the problem is in the correct implementation of the more advanced features of PDM.

I believe some members of the PMI are in conflict of interest as they seem too protective of the wrong ways of most PDM software. Maybe some belong or belonged to one of these software companies.

I do not believe it is Plotnic, he just yielded to group pressure.

Best regards,
Rafael
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Vladimir,

I think that it would be fairly easy to create an option in Spider to check for PMI conformance scoring at the end of each update. It is just a review.

Dear Rafael,

I believe that you can do a great benefit to PMI by sending them your recommendations and review. Chances are that they will consider them in the next update. The issue here that they tend to keep it in line with the other standards and to cover most of the projects most of the time.

My review of the Schedules is based on Constructability first and meeting the scope, time and cost availability second. The conformance score does not mention that the scope must be complete, the schedule must be within the time limits, or that the earned value is achieved. There is no mention of changes in scope as well.

With kind regards,

Samer
Rafael Davila
Vladimir,

I would blame our institutions that should be promoting true good practice, that should advocate for the advancement and sharing of knowledge.

I sincerely believe advanced PDM functionalities can be implemented without breaking the rules of correct logic. The four Gurus seem like still trying to figure it out without knowing they are obstructing the view.

Even when my clients do not ask for resource loading I do it myself. Keep in perspective most of my jobs are relatively small but I cannot imagine working large jobs without taking into consideration resource constraints and true resource critical path.

UNBELIEVABLE GOOD SCHEDULE WITHOUT RESOURCES!

That must be a joke.

aaa suretrak

Look at the above sample job, four activities competing for the same resource where only one unit of the resource is available. It shows float on the firsts three, this is wrong and only shows the last activity as critical. And this is how over 90% of available software performs under resource leveling, they are dead wrong. Is obvious in a simple job but on a job with hundreds of activities it is misleading.

The PMI should stand up to expectations and warn everyone about it.

Best regards,
Rafael
Rafael,
did you notice that resource assignments are considered as optional?
So levelling is even more optional. It is obvious that most planners do not work with resources properly.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Rafael Davila
The list doe not clearly identify to what they refer by Float and Critical Path as many software under resource constraining miss them and even gives wrong float and wrong critical path.

Probably PMI should distinguish between at Times True at Times Wrong Float/Critical Path and the correct identification of Float and Critical Path under resource leveling. It is not merely about the labeling of a functionality is also about the correct implementation.

It is wrong because they do not have the guts to spell it out loud and clear.

The same goes with the implementation of constraints and negative float.

Mummies
Mummy
Samer,
we use different approaches to project scheduling. And thus the list of required and optional data is different.
One of many differences is obvious - this list does not include resource assignment information. And resource usage is considered as optional. I cannot agree with this.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Samer Zawaydeh
Hi Everyone,

This is the PMI manual scoring list of the Schedule model. If you have more recommendations, it would be good to know about them. I am listing them for your future use.

O = Optional, R = Required

PREDEVELOPMENT
WBS ID O
Activity ID R
Project Name R
Project Schedule ID R
Project Version R
Calendar
Activity Calendar O
Project Calendar R
Resource Calendar O
Data Date R
Milestones R

DEVELOPMENT
Project Start Constraint O
Activity Label R
Unit of Measure R
Duration
Activity Original Duration R
Activity Remaining Duration R
Activity Actual Duration R
Activity Total Duration O
Activity Baseline Original Duration R
Actvity Target Duration O
Project Original Duration R
Project Remaining Duration R
Project Actual Duration R
Project Total Duration O
Project Baseline Duration R
Project Target Duration O
Imposed Project Duration O
Relationships
Finish to Start R
Start to Start O
Finish to Finish O
Start to Finish O
Start Date
Activity Early Start Date R
Activity Late Start Date R
Activity Baseline Start Date R
Activity Target Start Date O
Activity Actual Start Date R
Activity Resource Leveled Start Date O
Project Early Start Date R
Project Late Start Date R
Project Baseline Start Date R
Project Target Start Date O
Project Actual Start Date R
Project Resource Leveled Start Date O
Finish Date
Activity Early Start Date R
Activity Late Start Date R
Activity Baseline Start Date R
Activity Target Start Date O
Activity Actual Start Date R
Activity Resource Leveled Start Date O
Project Early Start Date R
Project Late Start Date R
Project Baseline Start Date R
Project Target Start Date O
Project Actual Start Date R
Project Resource Leveled Start Date O
Float
Total Float R
Free Float R
Critical Path R
Baseline Data Date R
Maintenance and Status Reporting
Percent Complete
Activity Physical Percent Complete R
Activity Duration Percent Complete O
Project Physical Percent Complete R
Project Duration Percent Complete O
Update Cycle R
Activity Code O
Activity Cost Component O
Activity Cost Estimate O
Activity Effort O
Activity Scope Definition O
Assigned Quantity O
Constraints
Finish Not Earlier Than O
Finish Not Later Than O
Finish on O
Mandatory Finish Date O
Mandatory Start Date O
Start Not Later Than O
Start Not Earlier Than O
Start On O
Expectde Finish O
Project Finish Constraint O
Custom Field O
Earned Value O
Estimate at Completion (EAC) O
Estimate to Complete (ETC) O
Lag O
Lead O
Level O
Presentation O
Project control Account O
Project Cost Componenets O
Project Cost Estimate O
Project Description
Project Manager O
Recources
Resource Assignment O
Resource Availability O
Resource Description O
Resource ID O
Resource Lag O
Resource Leveling O
Resource Library/ Dictionary O
Resource Rates/ Prices O
Resource Type O
Schedule Risk
Activity Risk Criticality Index O
Activity Most Likely Duration O
Activity Optimistic Duration O
Activity Pessimistic Duration O
Activity Cumulative Probability O
Risk Distribution O
Summary Activity O
Update Cycle O
Variance
Duration Variance O
Date Variance O

With kind regards,

Samer
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Ciamak,

I am using the conformace scoring as a review only. You need to add what is important as per your project requirement.

The scoring is a check list of the items that are required and the items that are optional.

There is no relation between the activities and the milestones except that the milestone is a zero duration and zero resource activity! Milestones are used to indicate a certain accomplishment.

How are you going to monitor the activities to activities relationships?

The other requierment would be to check if your schedule is conforming to the Conditions of Contract requirement. That is to check scope, time and cost.

With kind regards,

Samer